[SOLVED] RAM or motherboard problem?

iSente

Reputable
May 14, 2020
Hi all,

I have a miniITX build with an Asrock Z390M mb and 2x8Gb Corsair DDR4 2666 modules.

I recently had some BSOD flagged with "Store Data structure corruption", so I ran the windows memory diagnosis tool and it detected problems. I assumed that I had one faulty RAM stick, so I removed one stick and ran the test (all ok), ran the other by itself (all ok), and then put back both modules switching the original positions (and, weirdly all ok as well). So both sticks seem ok.

I continued using the PC for a whole day without any problem and today I had another BSOD with the same flag (after resuming from sleep). I ran a memory test, and there it is, it has detected problems again.

Any idea what can be happening?
A problem with the MB, or with the RAM sticks?
What can I do to be sure?

Thanks!

Solution
So i'm leaving this here just in case.
Turns out I had a faulty RAM module, even thought the Memory Diagnosis tool wasn't able to always detect it.

Long story short, after I updated everything (BIOS included) I kept having BSODs related with RAM problems. For some other reason, I had to install a fresh Windows 10 in another partition, but the Windows installer kept crashing ("Windows Cannot Install Required files" error), which seems to be related to the RAM as well. So after several iterations I found the faulty RAM module, and I could install Windows 10 and run the other partition just fine with one (8gb) module.

Since then, I RMA'd the corsair ram and bought a 2x8Gb from crucial instead. Everything runs smoothly now.

Tada.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you list your builds specs(the full specs)? You might want to see which BIOS version you're on at the moment and cross-reference ASRock's support site to see if you have any updates pending. Gradually work your way to the latest and take note of any Intel MEI drivers that might need to be installed prior to the update.

iSente

Reputable
May 14, 2020
Thanks for your reply!

The build is quite new (~4-5 months) and everything is up-to-date (or should be, I'll double check). Also, I should point that I didn't do a memory diagnosis after building it, so I don't know whether the problem was there since the beginning or it is new.
Obviously, I still can ask for refund/exchange of the parts...

Anyway, the full list:

MB: Asrock Z390M-ITX
PSU: Corsair VS350
CPU: i5-9400 with a disproportionate Cooler master 212X Hyper
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-21300 (2666), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-18-18-35, XMP 2.0, 1.2V
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER OC
HDD: BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200rpm ST1000DM010

iSente

Reputable
May 14, 2020
So i'm leaving this here just in case.
Turns out I had a faulty RAM module, even thought the Memory Diagnosis tool wasn't able to always detect it.

Long story short, after I updated everything (BIOS included) I kept having BSODs related with RAM problems. For some other reason, I had to install a fresh Windows 10 in another partition, but the Windows installer kept crashing ("Windows Cannot Install Required files" error), which seems to be related to the RAM as well. So after several iterations I found the faulty RAM module, and I could install Windows 10 and run the other partition just fine with one (8gb) module.

Since then, I RMA'd the corsair ram and bought a 2x8Gb from crucial instead. Everything runs smoothly now.

Tada.

Solution