TheCrystalBlaze

Reputable
May 1, 2017
so i am running 4gb ram with an i5 3470 and a 750 ti sc i want to upgrade my ram to improve my pubg experience but i am nervous that my power supply may give out soon i have had the pc almost a month and its just my anxiety should i get another 4gb stick or should i get another powers supply since my psu is 240w please any help would be appreiciated

TheCrystalBlaze

Reputable
May 1, 2017
what u would you recommend my pc is a 3010 sff so i dont know if it has proprietary connectors and even if it doesnt the psu will likely not be in my case because of the form factor i will most likely put it on top of my case any issues with that pls help

AtomicSnipe

Notable
Apr 6, 2017

Don't think that's a good choice. It isn't branded which is very unsettling and potentially unsafe. Go for brands like EVGA, Corsair, SeaSonic, Cooler Master, etc. They might be expensive, but they are reliable.

240w is fine for a GTX750ti.
I would not try to have a standard atx psu hang loose outside the case.
Certainly not a tier 5 apevia psu.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
If your psu fails, there should be a compatible Seasonic psu of perhaps 300w.

Or, buy a normal desktop case and move your parts into it.

4gb is not enough.
more ram is a good thing.
But, adding a second stick is not 100% guaranteed to work.
Ram must be matched.
If you want to try, go to a ram web site like Kingston and access their upgrade app.
Enter your make/model of PC and you will get a list of supported ram upgrades.

TheCrystalBlaze

Reputable
May 1, 2017
The thing is i can do that but im not sure if the motherboard is proprietary i have the exact ram i need to get found but yeah i just wanted to know if it is proprietary bc if it is i dont have the money to get a new motherboard and case heck i will get a 2gb stick of the same ram and have a little bit of money left over to start saving for a new case if it is not proprietary.

Compare your motherboard to this wiki description of atx standard formats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_form_factor
Likely, it is standard.
It is cheaper to build today using standard parts.
I think you have only two ram slots available.
Check the specs on your particular pc to see how much ram is supported.

The ram you buy will NOT be the same.
Ram is sold in kits designed for a specific total capacity.
Changing the total capacity invalidates the original specs.
Buy only what a ram vendor says is compatible or is a compatible upgrade.
Otherwise, you have no recourse if it does not work.

If budget is a real issue, find a ram vendor recommended upgrade and look for the exact same part number on ebay; you might get it cheaper.