Ram or Vram?

agel_thanos

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
My budget is arround 350 Euros and i want to update my system.I currently have a i5-6400 and 4gb of ram (more details not needed) and i consider buying a gtx 1060.Im thinking that in this bugdet i can buy a gtx 1060 3gb and 8 gb ram or a gtx 1060 6gb.What should i do ?(i may be able to afford a 8 gb ram in some months but not now)

Solution
The thing about the 3 GB of VRAM is that you have that forever in that GPU. Your system RAM, however, is not fixed. If I had a PC I can never make any changes to forever, I'd rather have the 3 GB 1060 and 8 GB of RAM instead of the 6 GB 1060 and 4 GB of RAM. But a 6 GB 1060 and 4 GB of RAM that can become 6/8 with a few bucks and a couple minutes of effort? That would be my choice.

Anyway, with Hellfire's link, he should be able to do both for 350 anyways.
I'm a long time budget gamer, so I'd rather have the 3gb 1060 and extra 4gb of system ram, because I'm used to not playing at the highest settings.

Keep in mind that just about any game demanding enough to use more than the 3gb of vram is also going to need more than 4gb system ram. So those two things, 8gb system ram and a 6gb 1060, kind of go together. Just getting a 1060 6gb by itself is of questionable value.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The thing about the 3 GB of VRAM is that you have that forever in that GPU. Your system RAM, however, is not fixed. If I had a PC I can never make any changes to forever, I'd rather have the 3 GB 1060 and 8 GB of RAM instead of the 6 GB 1060 and 4 GB of RAM. But a 6 GB 1060 and 4 GB of RAM that can become 6/8 with a few bucks and a couple minutes of effort? That would be my choice.

Anyway, with Hellfire's link, he should be able to do both for 350 anyways.

Solution