[SOLVED] Ram over locking

Nov 29, 2020
Hi all,

fairly new to building in ryzen but quite familiar with PC building in general.

Recently upgraded my system from 16 gb of 320 MHz memory to 32 gb and got myself a b450 mortar motherboard to go with it. Ever since I’ve been having problems with games crashing unexpectedly and all I can think it is, it’s the ram.

I’m using xmp profile 1 and have my memory to 3200 MHz. Is this too much for the system and should I down clock? Or am I doing something wrong.

Also ran the mem86 test and got the following: test 7 addr expected fdffffff actual fdffff7f cpu9

This goes a little past my know how and capabilities so I’m asking for any help or knowledge anyone has on the subject.

Thanks!
James

Solution
You may have to try and give the SOC a bit more voltage, don't go over 1.2v on it. SOC voltage can help with higher memory clocks.

Also you may have to up the voltage on the ram as well, just don't go to crazy with it, it wont need more than 1.4v for 3200mhz.
You may have to try and give the SOC a bit more voltage, don't go over 1.2v on it. SOC voltage can help with higher memory clocks.

Also you may have to up the voltage on the ram as well, just don't go to crazy with it, it wont need more than 1.4v for 3200mhz.

Solution
Nov 29, 2020

Hi mate

thanks for that, what’s an soc. I’ll try the voltage now

It stands for System on a Chip, SOC is tired into the memory controller on Ryzen among other things on the die, so increasing the voltage on the SOC can help stabilize higher memory frequencies. Some boards do undervolt the SOC a bit to much where XMP's on some kits may have issues. I wouldn't increase it above 1.2v for everyday use without some really good cooling.

I had to increase my SOC from 1.1v to 1.17v of my Threadripper system as I run 8 sticks of ram and 3200mhz was just not stable for me at all, Increasing the SOC voltage a bit helped with random app crashes and the occasional BSOD I was experiencing, It should be the same on pretty much every Ryzen out there right now.

Increasing the SOC voltage you will see a small bump in temps, hardly noticeable, but if you are already on the edge of a comfortable max temp it may put the CPU a bit over that.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Oh very nice. So overclock yes. Everybody tighten timings as well? Have noticed some say oh yes this is a must. How much the gains? Have run DRAM calculator and have all the numbers but just have not taken time to plug into bios. Maybe I am feeling that it not boost very much?