Question RAM overclock concern

Benton92

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
I recently installed G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb (2x8gb) clocked at 3200Mhz. However, my motherboard(MSI B350 PC Mate) is running the ram at 2133Mhz because my old RAM was clocked at 2400Mhz. I have a Ryzen 5 3600, which I also recently installed, and I was wondering if I could safely overclock the RAM to the full 3200Mhz speed(or close to it) and still be safe because I am using the stock CPU cooler(if that has anything to do with it). Also, how will faster RAM affect my gaming performance?

I recently installed G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb (2x8gb) clocked at 3200Mhz. However, my motherboard(MSI B350 PC Mate) is running the ram at 2133Mhz because my old RAM was clocked at 2400Mhz. I have a Ryzen 5 3600, which I also recently installed, and I was wondering if I could safely overclock the RAM to the full 3200Mhz speed(or close to it) and still be safe because I am using the stock CPU cooler(if that has anything to do with it). Also, how will faster RAM affect my gaming performance?
Yes it's safe providing you don't go overboard with OC. Your RAM is actually made to run at 3200MHz so it wouldn't be classic overclock. Using XMP profile would not be overclock, just setting BIOS to use it's full potential. CPU temp may raise 1 or 2c under full load (because memory controller is in it) but that's nothing to be concerned with.

TRENDING THREADS