Question RAM overclock damaged my cpu?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I overclocked my 2400 ram to 1.3v 2600mhz and now my computer wont post. A new motherboard did not fix the issue. Clearing CMOS did not fix the issue. Is it possible for a ram overclock to damage my CPU ram controller? I have 4 sticks and they will not post individually, I get error code 22 for all 4 of them. Intel and gskill both accepted my RMA. Should I send my cpu and not the ram or should I send both? I dont want to wait for gskill and have the possibility of them doing something like losing one of my ram sticks. I trust intel because I've heard good things about them.

Also is it possible that intel will give me a free upgrade? I'm going to send them a i5 7640x

thefxgamingrules

Commendable
Jun 19, 2018
No. They won't give you a "free upgrade." If you can, RMA both. Also, OCing memory on intel chips viods your warranty, not sure if intel can actually see if the memory was OCed. Manufacturers don't "lose" stuff you send in for RMA. They will note how many of X product you send in for RMA and return the non-faulty ones and replace the faulty ones.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
No. They won't give you a "free upgrade." If you can, RMA both. Also, OCing memory on intel chips viods your warranty, not sure if intel can actually see if the memory was OCed. Manufacturers don't "lose" stuff you send in for RMA. They will note how many of X product you send in for RMA and return the non-faulty ones and replace the faulty ones.
I know it voids the warranty but they're selling an overclockable cpu.

I was just reading a reddit post about gskill only sending 1 stick back when somebody sent them 2 sticks, other people had the same issue.

A free upgrade would be nice, or atleast a discount on a i9 lol.

Oct 8, 2020
The problem lies in your device manager and therefore the error code is getting to you. You should send both the CPU and RAM. Although they won't give you any free upgrade but hopefully the problem will get solved.After that you should b able to post again and also may not lose any ram stick.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
They are also selling a stand-alone one-time $20 or $25 overclocking warranty.

1.3V on memory shouldn't have hurt anything. Either something else went wrong or you were exceptionally unlucky if a mild memory OC at 1.3V was the only thing you attempted doing here.
My cpu was also overclocked to 1.3v 4.8ghz. With my garbage air cooler it ran alittle under 80° in game which should be fine I think. I think my old motherboard freaked out and sent too much power or something. Nothing is burnt and even though it wont post the ram sticks still get warm.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
The problem lies in your device manager and therefore the error code is getting to you. You should send both the CPU and RAM. Although they won't give you any free upgrade but hopefully the problem will get solved.After that you should b able to post again and also may not lose any ram stick.
Well by error code I mean the post code led on my motherboard. Its post code 22 on evga motherboard, it's not in the book and i read it basically means unkown error. My old motherboard doesnt have a post code led but it has EZdebug led and nothing was lit up on it. My new motherboard also has a beeper and I'm not getting any beeps.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS