[SOLVED] RAM overclock problem with ASRock MB

Jan 14, 2019
I have an Asrock AB350m Pro4 with the latest BIOS (5.50) and this ram:

- Kingston HyperX 3200MHz DDR4 CL16: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GCWQ80K

By default is set to 2400mhz. I've tried all XMP profile (including 3000 and 3200) but gives memory errors.

Do I need to perform manual overclock? In that case... I'm new to this so, what parameters do I need to change? any suggestions?

Solution
You may need to raise the DRAM voltage to somewhere between 1.35 and 1.42 to get it to go faster. Usually, my scheme is to set it to 1.42V (your RAM is safe up to 1.5, but I probably wouldn't run full time beyond 1.45), work on what speed you can get it to and then once you establish stability (using a real memory tester like RamTest or PassMark's MemTest86), then you can see how low you drop the DRAM voltage to maintain that stability.

You should also be looking at the voltage settings for VCCIO and VCCSA. Somewhere...
Jan 14, 2019

It works!

Setting it to XMP profile 2 and 2933 (the closest value to 2966) passes windows memory diagnostic tool and doesn't crash while gaming. but..I'm a bit worried about "DRAM VOLTAGE 1.350" in red color (see picture)

1-completo.jpg

That value is automatically written when you select xmp profile 2

Jan 14, 2019

With the changes Supahos suggested (XMP profile 2 - 2933) here is the screenshot:

1.png

(on this one Slot #2 and #4 are the same)
2.png

and if its useful, here are some UEFI info:

2-completo.jpg

Jan 14, 2019

With the info you see on screenshots, do you think it is possible to reach 3200mhz? (the native ram speed)

jfriend00

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
You may need to raise the DRAM voltage to somewhere between 1.35 and 1.42 to get it to go faster. Usually, my scheme is to set it to 1.42V (your RAM is safe up to 1.5, but I probably wouldn't run full time beyond 1.45), work on what speed you can get it to and then once you establish stability (using a real memory tester like RamTest or PassMark's MemTest86), then you can see how low you drop the DRAM voltage to maintain that stability.

You should also be looking at the voltage settings for VCCIO and VCCSA. Somewhere in the 1.18-1.25 range is sometimes needed for memory overclocking. Again, I set to the high end of that range when working on stability, then once you have a stable point you like, see how low you can drop them and maintain stability. VCCIO powers the integrated memory controller inside the processor package so it's directly involved in your memory overclocking and the necessary value will depend upon which processor and how good a processor chip you got.

Solution
Jan 14, 2019

Sadly.... after 1h of gaming the PC crashed. It seems the solution is not 100% effective