[SOLVED] RAM overclocking or XMP question.

Jan 18, 2022
I'm about to buy a Gigabyte UD AX motherboard which supports DDR5 4000 / 4800 MHz memory modules (and up to 6000 OC) with XMP 3.0 profiling.

Should I only buy RAM of 4800 MHz so I can OC it to 5600 MHz (for example), or do I need to buy RAM of 5600 MHz to do this?

Solution
  1. You're only guaranteed the advertised frequency of the RAM.
  2. The mobo also has certain RAM frequency "guarantees" 6000MHz in this case.
  3. This is also dependent on the IMC within the CPU to be able to handle > DDR5-4800.
Your guarantee is the lowest of the 3 above factors.

Of the 3, Intel's IMC is the least limiting of those factors (in terms of >4800MHz operation).

The DDR5 landscape is relatively new. I don't follow DDR5 OCing super close, but I have seen reports that [some] kits are able to hit frequencies far beyond their advertised spec. Do your research of the specific kit you intend to buy though. Don't take my word for it.
  3. This is also dependent on the IMC within the CPU to be able to handle > DDR5-4800.

Of the 3, Intel's IMC is the least limiting of those factors (in terms of >4800MHz operation).

The DDR5 landscape is relatively new. I don't follow DDR5 OCing super close, but I have seen reports that [some] kits are able to hit frequencies far beyond their advertised spec. Do your research of the specific kit you intend to buy though. Don't take my word for it.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 18, 2022

Thanks for your reply.

I did not know about IMC so did some research for the CPU I'm getting (i5-12600K) and it seems the max is 4800 MHz. However, I read another article which stated they were getting RAM speeds of 5200 MHz so now I'm a little puzzled. TBH, the price difference between 4800 MHz and 5600 MHz RAM was about £20 the last time I checked so I may as well buy the faster modules.