Question Ram overclocking timings question

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
im using corsair vengeance rgb pro 3000 mhz ram, my cpu is a ryzen 5 2600 overclocked to 4.2 ghz 1.4v stable, motherboard is a b450 tomahawk. first question is the ram is rated at cas latency 15, but it wont go lower than 16, i overclocked the ram to 3200 mhz and i had it down to 15, then i tried to overclock the ram to 3400 mhz which wasnt stable even with higher voltage. then i set the ram back to 3200 mhz and tried cas 15 again but i cant get it out of cas 16. also whats weird is in the bios it says its set to cas 15, but its actually at cas 16, any suggestions?

Depends on what preset you are working on. It could be Auto, Manual or XMP. If you are on XMP, or what ever is called for amd, it should have already set cas 15 and 3000. When it defaults to cas 16/3200 for manual or xmp mode, the motherboard probably detects instability and loads a more stable setting. So you may set cas 15 in bios but reverts to cas 16 during post. Try manual mode and set the xmp primary timings manually. You may also try setting the voltage manually with a small positive offset, something like +0,05. You may have to revert to bios defaults to hit the same "overclock". It doesn't really worth the hassle though, performance wise. A memory that doesn't overclocks easily, usually doesn't overclock at all.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Depends on what preset you are working on. It could be Auto, Manual or XMP. If you are on XMP, or what ever is called for amd, it should have already set cas 15 and 3000. When it defaults to cas 16/3200 for manual or xmp mode, the motherboard probably detects instability and loads a more stable setting. So you may set cas 15 in bios but reverts to cas 16 during post. Try manual mode and set the xmp primary timings manually. You may also try setting the voltage manually with a small positive offset, something like +0,05. You may have to revert to bios defaults to hit the same "overclock". It doesn't really worth the hassle though, performance wise. A memory that doesn't overclocks easily, usually doesn't overclock at all.
at least if anything, i did get the speed up to 3200 mhz 1.4v, that will work fine.