Question RAM overclocking

Pupq1

Commendable
Jun 6, 2019
How much can you overclock the RAM in general? I'm asking because I don't really know how much to spend on the RAM. For example, if let' say I want 3200mhz RAM. Should I buy some 3200mhz cl16 ram or some cheaper 3000mhz cl15 and then overclock? Or maybe even slower RAM like 2933mhz or something?
Also, does brand also matter in how much you can overclock your ram? Should I avoid cheap brands like T-force and Patriot and go with Corsair, G.skill etc?
Overall, if I want my RAM to run at X mhz how much slower RAM should I get , hoping that I will be able to reach that x speed by oc-ing, and also saving money?
If I get some Corsair RAM at 3000mhz cl15 could I oc it even further? Like idk 3400mhz cl14?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I agree, If you want 3200 MHZ RAM Buy a good 3200 MHz kit and then you MAY be able to get it to run at 3400 MHz or possibly higher BUT it won't be easy to do.
Manual RAM OCing is a very slow, tedious process.
Also Check your MB Manufacturers QVL and the RAM Manufacturers Compatibility list before you buy ANY RAM to be sure it will even run at it's maximum rated speed.
FYI
C14 Kits tend to use Samsung B-Die IC's which OC better than other IC's.

Pupq1

Commendable
Jun 6, 2019
I agree, If you want 3200 MHZ RAM Buy a good 3200 MHz kit and then you MAY be able to get it to run at 3400 MHz or possibly higher BUT it won't be easy to do.
Manual RAM OCing is a very slow, tedious process.
Also Check your MB Manufacturers QVL and the RAM Manufacturers Compatibility list before you buy ANY RAM to be sure it will even run at it's maximum rated speed.
FYI
C14 Kits tend to use Samsung B-Die IC's which OC better than other IC's.
Then what do you recommend between these 2?
Patriot Viper RGB 16gb 2x8 3200mhz cl16
Corsair RGB Pro K2 16gb 2x8 3000mhzcl15

Pupq1

Commendable
Jun 6, 2019
Personally i would go with G.skill Ripjaws V series 2x8GB 3200Mhz CL14 for $107.99. Same price as the Patriot Viper with better CL# and $10 more then the Corsair but way faster over all.

Downside is you dont get the RGB
Yeah those seem pretty value , thx I might go with them if I decide to give up on rgb

Pupq1

Commendable
Jun 6, 2019
Then I recommend you wait until you know exactly what MB you are getting.
Then check to be sure whatever RAM kit you choose will run at it's rated speed on that MB.
I don't think I've seen any X470 that can't support at least 3200mhz, not even a b450
I'll reach out to you after X570s get launched tho, thanks for the help

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Yes, BUT if you look you will find that not all 3200 MHz RAM kits will run at 3200 MHz on every X470 MB.
That's why I said to check your exact MB QVL and the RAM Manufacturer's Compatibility List to be sure the kit you want runs at it's rated speed on the MB you choose.
If you choose the wrong kit for your MB, it might only run at 2133 or 2400 MHz.

Pupq1

Commendable
Jun 6, 2019
Yes BUT if you look you will find that not all 3200 MHz RAM kits will run at 3200 MHz on every X470 MB.
That's why I said to check your exacr MB QVL and the RAM Manufacturer's Compatibility List to be sure the kit you want runs at it's rated speed on the MB you choose.
Isn't that list only made up of RAM kits that have been TESTED? I thought that if a kit isn't there that means that it hasn't been tested on that specific board and it's not necessarely uncompatible with it, most likely not (i might be wrong)

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Yes, but most RAM manufacturers also have compatibility lists that are more extensive/up to date.
The bottom line is that if you buy ram that is not on either list you have no guarantee it will run any faster than the MB's minimum RAM speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pupq1
Ryzen 3000 series have higher starting IMC frequency, it's up to 3200MHz instead of 2666 on 1st gen and 2933MHz on 2nd gen. That's mostly for MBs with 400 series chipsets as their memory paths are improved, Similar improvement may be expected for 500 series.
So, XMP speeds are almost assured but OC-ing over that is and always will not be assured and probably be available only on top-notch RAM.
I'm running 3600MHz perfectly on that speed but wouldn't go over even 1 MHz for love or money or certainly not for lack of trying.

Reactions: Pupq1 and DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
As long as they are compatible then either of those would be fine.
I would get wich ever kit you like better (for aesthetics, CPU Cooler Clearance, etc.).
Performance wise they should be very similar.

I'd read some reviews of each and choose whichever set reviews better,
The Patriot kit seems to review very well:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/patriot_viper_gaming_rgb_3200_mhz_ddr4_review,17.html

Reactions: Pupq1

Pupq1

Commendable
Jun 6, 2019
As long as they are compatible then either of those would be fine.
I would get wich ever kit you like better (for aesthetics, CPU Cooler Clearance, etc.).
Performance wise they should be very similar.

I'd read some reviews of each and choose whichever set reviews better,
The Patriot kit seems to review very well:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/patriot_viper_gaming_rgb_3200_mhz_ddr4_review,17.html
Thanks a lot

Reactions: DMAN999