[SOLVED] Advice on RAM overclocking ?

Mar 8, 2021
Hello
I am getting this specific RAM (Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz Kit )...
for ryzen 5 3600 just getting to learn overclocking ...(upgrading PC after 8 years from i5 3470 :) )
motherboard will be ASrock B550M-HDV

so i am looking on videos .. they look at timings of similar RAMS... so i did same

3200mhz specs
3600 specs
4000MHz specs

now i see
3200 :
Base Frequency: PC4-21300(2666MHz)
• Base Timings: 19-19-19-43
• Tested Frequency: PC4-25600 (3200MHz)
• Tested Timings: 16-20-20-40
• Tested Voltage for Profile 1: 1.35V

3600 : Base Frequency: PC4-17000 (2133MHz)
• Base Timings: 15-15-15-36
• Tested Frequency Profile 1: PC4-28800 (3600MHz)
• Tested Timings: 17-19-19-39

4000 : Base Frequency: PC4-17000 (2133MHz)
• Base Timings: 15-15-15-36
• Tested Frequency Profile 1: PC4-32000 (4000MHz)
• Tested Timings: 19-21-21-41

What would you suggest me to do
When base timing on highier frequencies is different

How can I set those 2x8gb 3200 xmp kit to for highier clock ... like even 3866mhz..
Should I test it myself or just should I NOT do anything .. its just not worth when i have only RX580 8gb .. so the performance will not be increasing there ...

also ... does that motherboard not support these RAMS ? :/ :D
compatibility

Last edited:
Solution
Ram chips are binned.
The better chips are used in faster ram that can be sold for more.
You could get lucky, but do not count on it.
If you want faster ram, buy a faster kit in the first place.
Ryzen performance is impacted by ram speed. Likely 3600 is what you should want.

Ryzen is picky about ram compatibility.
Look at the ram qvl list for your motherboard.
The list will be different for different processors.
Buy one of the exact kits that is supported.
Alternatively, go to a ram vendor site and access their ram selection app.
You should be safe if you buy an explicitly supported kit.
Ram chips are binned.
Ryzen performance is impacted by ram speed. Likely 3600 is what you should want.

Reactions: Krotow and mIQi
Solution
Mar 8, 2021
Ram chips are binned.

Unfortunately i bought ram before checking everything properly so its on the way(cpu came today, and motherboard was sent today)
but i would not think or say thats not compatible i think i saw some ppl with r5 3600 and some of these rams....
i always buy cheapest and best also was looking and performacr difference its few fps in games betwren 3200MHz and 3600MHz

and read some post on reddit that guy tested different frequencies and 3866MHz came out as best

UPDATE :
so i used google and seems like memory is not QVL compatible sooo i will try it ... hope it will work even with XMP if not i get QVL memory for it properly

Last edited:

Alex Storm

Commendable
Mar 2, 2021
Unfortunately i bought ram before checking everything properly so its on the way(cpu came today, and motherboard was sent today)
but i would not think or say thats not compatible i think i saw some ppl with r5 3600 and some of these rams....
i always buy cheapest and best also was looking and performacr difference its few fps in games betwren 3200MHz and 3600MHz

and read some post on reddit that guy tested different frequencies and 3866MHz came out as best

UPDATE :
so i used google and seems like memory is not QVL compatible sooo i will try it ... hope it will work even with XMP if not i get QVL memory for it properly
For the AM4 platform, the frequency of the RAM is especially important, because the internal data bus of the Infinity Fabric is tied to it (operating at half the frequency of the RAM). The fact is that these multi-core processors consist of two modules of several cores, which communicate with each other through a bus called Infinity Fabric - and it is more efficient the faster you have RAM. Frequency affects primarily, but it is not the only factor.
In this regard, modules that can reach at least 3200 frequencies in overclocking are highly desirable, while the Infinity Fabric frequency will already fully satisfy the needs of the processor. Higher frequencies also increase performance, but require higher voltages, better motherboards and memory selection. There is an increase from 3200CL14 -> 3466CL14, but as a rule it is so time-consuming that it does not cover the cost of achieving it. Although now the situation is better and already many Hynix \ Micron can take 3200 \ 3333 on AM4, B-die works confidently at 3600.
The same memory at lower timings (at the same frequency) will be more efficient. 3200 CL14> 3200 CL16 as an example.
With the correct setting of the secondary and tertiary timings, you can get up to 45% of performance in synthetic tests and up to 25% in games.

Reactions: Stephanie_Sy
ASRock B550M-HDV is interesting beast. Completely bare, but capable to run 3900X CPU without toasting itself. Though you should avoid CPU overclocking and need good cooling too because VRM in this board support only generic power levels thus CPU will run hotter.

RAM purchasing without compatibility check with desired CPU and motherboard was not wise idea. Seriously. Though I believe mentioned modules should work while used as pair of same modules. Avoid various model module mixing - it will end with slow or non-functional system.

Things about RAM module die configuration, clock rate and timings mentioned by @geofelt and @Alex Storm are correct.

Ryzen DRAM calculator is already obsoleted as i'd recently read.

Update: Forgot to mention: if you want to get out the best from your RAM and CPU, update BIOS if your motherboard have older version. Latest ASRock B550M-HDV BIOS version is 1.70. You can do that from flash drive directly from BIOS settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: mIQi
Mar 8, 2021
ASRock B550M-HDV is interesting beast. Completely bare, but capable to run 3900X CPU without toasting itself. Though you should avoid CPU overclocking and need good cooling too because VRM in this board support only generic power levels thus CPU will run hotter.

RAM purchasing without compatibility check with desired CPU and motherboard was not wise idea. Seriously. Though I believe mentioned modules should work while used as pair of same modules. Avoid various model module mixing - it will end with slow or non-functional system.

Things about RAM module die configuration, clock rate and timings mentioned by @geofelt and @Alex Storm are correct.

Ryzen DRAM calculator is already obsoleted as i'd recently read.
Thank you very much .. I am seeing comments on various retailers on these like MB or RAMs ... and ppl run it .. but somewhere maybe on amazon some said their memory didnt work with ryzen .. maybe they had different MB etc.

I knew more MHz is better but i went for cheapest option as i dont have great expectation and requirements from it .... so saving few buck on getting 3200 over 3600 was reasonable ...
as i stated above i have just RX580 .. so in most games the performance will be halted by game bottleneck on GPU (bottleneck calculator says its like 10-15 % slower GPU) ... only in few more CPU dependent games the RAM speed would actually help ... and again its only around 10 fps ...
thats why i asked in first place about its OC potential :)
i was panicking a bit about me needing to send RAMs back and buying QVL memory for like 30-40+ €

for the CPU cooler I will swap my old Arctic freezer 13 as I luckily found AMD kit for it in drawer... so there is OC potential with that only thing is that on this MB that cooler faces upward ... so it bit unconventional

RAM should be fine while you use same modules in pair or even better - kit of 2 or 4 same modules. Kits are better because modules in kit are already tested together in overclocked speeds.

After adequate PSU CPU cooler is next thing which should match to power converted to heat during CPU work. Usually as TDP multiplied by 2.5. Or even 3 for Intel CPUs. By the way mentioned Arctic Freezer 13 is better than any AMD stock cooler and can deal with Ryzen 5 3600 (if yours have mounting kit for AM4 socket). However during gaming or other increased activity on reaching RPMs above 50% it become quite loud. Somewhat manageable by playing with temperature curve in fan controls. Proper solution is larger and quieter cooler which unfortunately will instantly double your cooler budget. If you still want to stick with budget coolers, use Arctic Freezer 34, Xilence M403PRO or something like that.

Mar 8, 2021
RAM should be fine while you use same modules in pair or even better - kit of 2 or 4 same modules. Kits are better because modules in kit are already tested together in overclocked speeds.

After adequate PSU CPU cooler is next thing which should match to power converted to heat during CPU work. Usually as TDP multiplied by 2.5. Or even 3 for Intel CPUs. By the way mentioned Arctic Freezer 13 is better than any AMD stock cooler and can deal with Ryzen 5 3600 (if yours have mounting kit for AM4 socket). However during gaming or other increased activity on reaching RPMs above 50% it become quite loud. Somewhat manageable by playing with temperature curve in fan controls. Proper solution is larger and quieter cooler which unfortunately will instantly double your cooler budget. If you still want to stick with budget coolers, use Arctic Freezer 34, Xilence M403PRO or something like that.
Thanks for your concerns... but i have ridiculously loud GPU .. rx580 sapphire pulse ... :D and use headphones so the loudness of system is not bothering me at all :) ... with this card you also need to manually change fan speed after gaming because it still runs long after load on close to full speed... so my old CPU (i5 3470) will go to maybe office as a little upgrade and put on stock intel fan... and take my budged arctic freezer 13 on r 5 3600 I am sure temperature will be OK.

Everything in this post is yet a theory as I am waiting for components to come.
so will conclude after rebuild :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Dram Calculator is not obsolete. It works great for Zen, Zen Plus and Zen 2 cpus. That's 1000, 2000 and 3000 series cpus. Doesn't work out so well for 5000 cpus as they have changed the memory topology somewhat and Rank has a lot more to do with ability than previous gens.

Memory compatibility is up for grabs. The QVL is a list of ram that has been tested from various Vendors. It's a somewhat short list, only a few sticks are tested, some on-hand, some bought, some donated. What's not mentioned is that the same SkHynix used in the popular Corsair LPX is also used in many of the Patriots as is the same Samsung used in the Gskill lineup. Just a different paint job.

So has that Patriot ram been tested? Most likely yes it has, under a different name.

What's also not mentioned is any failures nor the fact that there's no guarantee. That ram was tested on that board at those settings, with an unknown cpu. No guarantees that it'll work on an exact board owned by someone else. The vendor boards were tested prior to production, using older Agesa and bios revisions and generally see little to few if any QVL updated tests.

QVL is a nice tool for what it is, but it's far from Gospel.

In short - OP, put mentioned modules in your board and if they works - you can stick with them. Faster is better obviously, if they are working stable enough. Remark about pair of same modules remain in effect.

QVL for any MOBO is nice also to learn about die type in particular modules. Because RAM manufacturers are good in hiding this information :)

Ryzen memory choices are not magic...faster is better and tight timings are highly desirable.

Hitting the combination of the two at a speed that maximizes the Infinity Fabric of the processor is the key to success. Due to IF latency the 3000 series really likes tweaked sub-timings. I have not seen the same lift on the 5000 series with sub-timings.

Quality memory like Samsung B die will give great results.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3000 series likes an fclock of 1800. It can do an fclock of 1866, sometimes. That means a max for 1:1:1 ratio of 3600MHz, maybe 3733MHz.

5000 series is rated for an fclock of 2000, and maintain a 1:1:1 ratio, but almost never gets there, basically leaving 1900 as the best bet. Or 3800MHz ram.

Reactions: Krotow