[SOLVED] RAM perfoming below expectations

Vlade

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
I first time builded a pc couple days ago and running the benchmark says that my RAM is performing below expectations.
Here is the benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14910834

CPU-Z says that my NB Frequency is 1064.1 MHz and my DRAM Frequency is the same. I have tried to do some research and everybody seems to have NB freq higher than DRAM freq, but for me they are same value. So I was wondering is that normal to have them at same value?

Should I be worried about that benchmark? How can I try to get it perform better? Should I even try to get it perfom better or is that just fine right now? I really don't know a much about this kinda things so all help will be appreciated.

You can see my specs from the benchmark link.

Solution
Yes, your ram is under-performing.

It's is currently runing at 2133mhz (1064 x 2). It should be running at 3200mhz (1600 x 2) You need to set the XMP profile in your bios to 3200 and reboot, then test again or view with CPUZ. That should sort it.
Your 3200 speed ram needs to be overclocked to run at faster than the 2133 default speed.
That option will be found in your motherboard bios settings.
The appropriate settings should be in a XMP profile that is imbedded in the ram.

Not a bad thing to do since ryzen responds well to faster ram.

Vlade

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Yes, your ram is under-performing.

It's is currently runing at 2133mhz (1064 x 2). It should be running at 3200mhz (1600 x 2) You need to set the XMP profile in your bios to 3200 and reboot, then test again or view with CPUZ. That should sort it.

Do I need to check anything like from the motherboard or cpu does it support XMP or something? I read that it can cause permanent damage to the cpu so I just want to make sure I don't break anything.

I have no experience with ryzen motherboards.
But, look in your motherboard bios settings for ram settings.
There should be an option to select a XMP profile.
The xmp profile is a collection of settings for voltage, cas, and speed that the ram vendor has determined to be necessary to run at advertised speeds.

Go ahead and try it.
If the motherboard can not handle it for some reason, it should just revert to stock.

You might want to check for any ram related bios updates for your motherboard.
I would not flash just on speculation.
A failed flash can be difficult to recover from.

Reactions: Vlade