Question RAM PERFORMANCE - Ryzen 5 2600x B450 vs Ryzen 5 3600 B550M

damoses1

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
I have 2 sticks of 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws 3200 C16 RAM. In my R5 2600x Asrock B450 pro4 build, they are crazy fast! I drop the same 2 sticks of ram into my new R5 3600 Gigabyte B550M motherboard, and the same 2 sticks of ram (OC'd to 3200) perform at average speeds. I'm trying to understand if it's a compatibility issue, or if the new B550M motherboard is just slower than my B450 motherboard. Any thoughts? I've contacted both G.Skill and Gigabyte tech support, but they haven't responded.

Lutfij

Titan
Although both boards come from the same camp, they will have underlying differences, primarily in how the BIOS works. Some platforms run slower when on manual overclocks while the same platform can work wodners while on X.M.P. If you do some digging you'll see a number of people having luck with X.M.P and some having to manually go into BIOS to get the same frequency.

That being said, you might want to make sure you've got the latest BIOS on both platforms, where the latest AGESA microcode will be 1.0.0.6.

You might want to see if tightening the timings on the rams while on the B550 brings something up in terms of performance.

Reactions: damoses1

damoses1

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
Although both boards come from the same camp, they will have underlying differences, primarily in how the BIOS works. Some platforms run slower when on manual overclocks while the same platform can work wodners while on X.M.P. If you do some digging you'll see a number of people having luck with X.M.P and some having to manually go into BIOS to get the same frequency.

That being said, you might want to make sure you've got the latest BIOS on both platforms, where the latest AGESA microcode will be 1.0.0.6.

You might want to see if tightening the timings on the rams while on the B550 brings something up in terms of performance.
Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I'm using XMP on both Motherboards. I was wondering if the memory in the R5 3600 build was performing slower because the 3600 is at a lower overall clock speed vs the 2600x. I may try overclocking the 3600 to 3600x speeds to see if that helps. This is my first post. I wanted to attach a picture showing the speed differences from UserBenchmark.com but it's not letting me attach the image. (2600x b450 build: multicore RAM speed = 40.5gb/s, while 3600 b550M build: multicore RAM speed = 31gb/s.) This is a huge difference. Both are running latest bios.