[SOLVED] RAM Positioning

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
Hi my board MSI B450 Tomahawk max (4 Slot Ram) I inserted it with a Hyper X Fury 2x8gb. Everytime Is it bad to make the 2 Ram sit with each other? Or is it really necessary to place the 2 cards 1 slot away from each other? Does it affect any performance?

Solution
I just sit my 2 rams beside on each other now. I got a pop up on my boot screen lol

"Memory modules were found on non-optimized slot. Please follow the instruction and move the yellow marked memory modules to the arrow marked memory modules to the arrow-marked optimized memory slots"

So I guess they were really meant not to sit beside each other?
It's not that it's DAMAGING to put them next to each other, but you are throttling the capability of your RAM modules.

To elaborate, dual channels are to do with the channels that the data travels through from or to the RAM, in effect it's the road that the data takes to reach its destination, RAM is RAM. However by running RAM in dual channel, you effectively double the size of the...

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
Yes you should install them as per your motherboard manual:
View: https://imgur.com/a/PzLvSLf

The reason for this is allows the RAM to run in Dual Channel, if you install them next to each other, they will both operate in single channel and effectively half your bandwidth.
I just sit my 2 rams beside on each other now. I got a pop up on my boot screen lol

"Memory modules were found on non-optimized slot. Please follow the instruction and move the yellow marked memory modules to the arrow marked memory modules to the arrow-marked optimized memory slots"

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

It's not that it's DAMAGING to put them next to each other, but you are throttling the capability of your RAM modules.

To elaborate, dual channels are to do with the channels that the data travels through from or to the RAM, in effect it's the road that the data takes to reach its destination, RAM is RAM. However by running RAM in dual channel, you effectively double the size of the road for the same amount of data, as it now has 2 lanes to travel down.

Solution

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017

To elaborate, dual channels are to do with the channels that the data travels through from or to the RAM, in effect it's the road that the data takes to reach its destination, RAM is RAM. However by running RAM in dual channel, you effectively double the size of the road for the same amount of data, as it now has 2 lanes to travel down.

I see so I guess ill just sit them apart to be more effective right..

Thank you.