[SOLVED] RAM problem (2,94gb of 4GB ram useable)

mathiasd.hauge

Commendable
Nov 8, 2018
I have 4 sticks of 1gb corsair memory (ddr2) but only 2,94 GB is useable.

First i looked it up on YouTube. I have tried to set maximum ram to 4096MB but that doesnt work. (Msconfig)

Secondly i tried to reseat the ram. Didnt work either. The pc just got stuck in a boot loop. Just loads to Windows for some seconds, then reboots.

Any thoughts? :)

Solution
This behavior is the expected result of certain hardware and software factors.

Various devices in a typical computer require memory-mapped access. This is known as memory-mapped I/O (MMIO). Memory-mapped I/O uses the same address space to address both memory and I/O devices. To accommodate the I/O devices, areas of the addresses used by the CPU and other hardware must be reserved for I/O and must not be available for normal physical memory.The reduction in available system memory depends on the devices that are installed in the computer.
This behavior is the expected result of certain hardware and software factors.

Various devices in a typical computer require memory-mapped access. This is known as memory-mapped I/O (MMIO). Memory-mapped I/O uses the same address space to address both memory and I/O devices. To accommodate the I/O devices, areas of the addresses used by the CPU and other hardware must be reserved for I/O and must not be available for normal physical memory.The reduction in available system memory depends on the devices that are installed in the computer.

Solution
Are you running 32-bit Windows? 32-bit Windows has a 4GB address space and hardware like graphics card memory will need to be mapped within that space, meaning you might end up with only around 3GB accessible unless a 64-bit version of the operating system is installed.

mathiasd.hauge

Commendable
Nov 8, 2018

My specs are
E8400
4GB ram
HD 5570 1gb
250gb hdd
Win 10 64bit