Question Ram problem (I think)

Nov 11, 2021
Computer was working fine, playing a game when all of a sudden it just restarted, but after post, "201-memory error" showed up with a bunch of text saying something along the line of "memory test failure".

So I tried running it with each of my dimms alone, but every time the screen is just black, and the fans just start running max speed.. It's like it's not even connected to the hardware (I've checked. Everything is connected)

Edit: I forgot to say that when the error message showed up, there was an option to continue booting by pressing F1, it boots correctly but when I checked in task manager, only 3.9gb were available, and 6.1 were hardware reserved (I have 10 gb in there btw. Ik ur not supposed to mix and match ram but it's an old computer that I use in rare occasions and I'd rather use 10gbs of mix and match rather than 6gbs of healthy relationship ram). So I assumed some of the dimms are dead and that's why I ran them alone each. But now its like they all are dead ;-;

Last edited:
Not common.
What are your parts?
Try each individual stick and test with memtest.
Memtest boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download one here:

If it runs for a minute it is likely ok.
Use the slot that your motherboard manual specifies for running a single stick.

Test each other stick individually.

Next, try the matched pairs in the supported slots.

The problem with mismatched ram is that they may have enough differences such that the motherboard bios can not treat them the same as they must.

Most ram will have a lifetime warranty.
If a matched pair proves defective, you can get a replacement and go from there.

Nov 11, 2021
Not common.
What are your parts?
Try each individual stick and test with memtest.
Memtest boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download one here:

If it runs for a minute it is likely ok.
Use the slot that your motherboard manual specifies for running a single stick.

Test each other stick individually.

Next, try the matched pairs in the supported slots.

The problem with mismatched ram is that they may have enough differences such that the motherboard bios can not treat them the same as they must.

Most ram will have a lifetime warranty.
If a matched pair proves defective, you can get a replacement and go from there.
I haven't tried memtest yet but I tried smth kinda stupid. I removed all the dimms from the ram slots, and boot it up (which made the beeping error thingy start beeping) then I shut it down and put 1 dimm in and it miraculously worked. So I did this whole thing again and tried putting in all the ram sticks but it didnt work and the original problem came back, which is it doesn't even post. I tried that again and again and I think that one of the ram slots is not working. Now I have 3 of the ram sticks in and working. Tbh I'm only telling u this because idk what the problem is still. Is it that a ram slots is broken? Is it that the motherboard doesn't recognize them? And why the heck is the only thing that worked is that weird method?! Please explain what the heck that method does 🗿

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
What is the make/model of your ram sticks?

Seems like either the motherboard is faulty, or there is a faulty ram stick.
Does each stick test ok when done one at a time?

Assuming all work individually, and all worked ok before, then I would suspect a motherboard problem.
Yes, a single slot can fail.
Does each slot test out ok individually?

If you are using an intel processor, it can function with a damaged socket pin.
The usual symptom is ram issues.
A damaged pin is all too easy to cause if you needed to smoosh the processor around to seat it.

Nov 11, 2021
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
What is the make/model of your ram sticks?
Make/Model of motherboard is unknown, cus motherboard is ancient and I when I bought the computer years ago (pre-built), nothing else was with it. (I didn't know a thing about computers back then, I kinda still don't 😩) But I know it's an hp motherboard and that only specific hardware can fit in the motherboard and the case. (There is a name for what I'm trying to say, I don't remember though)

Make/Model of ram sticks:
2GB sticks: Samsung M378B5773DH0-CH9
4GB stick: Samsung M378B5173QH0-CK0

Seems like either the motherboard is faulty, or there is a faulty ram stick.
Does each stick test ok when done one at a time?

Assuming all work individually, and all worked ok before, then I would suspect a motherboard problem.
Yes, a single slot can fail.
Does each slot test out ok individually?

I don't think the problem is with the ram sticks, it's probably the motherboard.
Each stick work as they should when tested out alone.

I have tried each stick in each slot alone.
And the problem appears when I use that one presumably broken slot.

If you are using an intel processor, it can function with a damaged socket pin.
The usual symptom is ram issues.
A damaged pin is all too easy to cause if you needed to smoosh the processor around to seat it.
It's an A4 fm2 processor, the socket is PGA.
And and I haven't played around with it recently.

Maybe it's just that a ram slot is broken.
I have a question. If 1 ram slot or 1 ram stick is not working. Does it bring down the whole system with it? (Because I've read that a faulty dimm is hard to detect because the symptoms are usually weird, like a dead dimm causing the graphics card to not work or smth ;-;) Or does it usually just stop working.. and the rest of the system is fine but you've just lost 2GB's of ram? I hope you understand what I mean, thanks for your help!

FWIW: CPU-Z will tell you about the motherboard.
Likely it is the one slot that is bad.
DDR3 ram is quite tolerant of mixed ram which normally can cause unusual issues.
If you can run with three sticks, go ahead.
You can test the ram.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Run as best you can, but do not spend another dime on that system unless you can carry forward that purchase. A SSD for example.

Nov 11, 2021
FWIW: CPU-Z will tell you about the motherboard.
Likely it is the one slot that is bad.
DDR3 ram is quite tolerant of mixed ram which normally can cause unusual issues.
If you can run with three sticks, go ahead.
You can test the ram.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Run as best you can, but do not spend another dime on that system unless you can carry forward that purchase. A SSD for example.
Yeah this system is too old. Spending money on it is like trying to get a dead corpse alive