[SOLVED] RAM problem with Lenovo Desktops ?

Aug 25, 2021
Hi

I have over 27 years’ experience in building, repairing and programming computers, ranging from DOS and Windows 3.1, through to Windows 10, so I would consider that I have a reasonably good knowledge of what I’m doing, but I have a problem that has me confused.

I was recently asked to check five Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop computers, to see if I could get them working.

There is one 8808, one 0822 and 3 7360’s. None of them had any RAM or hard drives installed in them.

I worked out that the 8808 uses DDR2 RAM and that one is all set up and working fine.

The rest use DDR3 RAM and from the research I did, I found that they can use 2GB modules in each slot. 4GB max for the 0822 and 8GB max for the 7360’s.

I decided to purchase some DDR3 RAM on eBay and I bought 4 Samsung PC3-10600U 2GB modules, 1Samsung PC3-12800U 2GB module, 4 Hynix PC3-12800U 2GB modules, 1 Ramaxel PC3-12800U 2GB module, 2 Corsair VS2GB1333D3 PC3-10600 2GB modules and 2 Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G PC3-10600 2 GB modules.

All of these RAM modules work perfectly when tested in the 0822, but only the Kingston RAM will work in the 7360’s.

I’ve contacted Lenovo Australia tech support with a detailed description of the problem and all I keep getting from them is a computer generated email, trying to sell me more RAM. Completely useless.

I’ll be able to use 4 of these modules in a Gigabyte board that isn’t anywhere near as temperamental, but that will still leave me with 6 modules that I’ll have to try to resell, if I can’t work this out.

Any help or advice to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
Lenovo is really good about having great technical manuals (like IBM before them). What I would do is find genuine used memory modules or specific compatibles as systems from this era, especially lga775 with ddr3, was awfully picky about module construction.
Lenovo is really good about having great technical manuals (like IBM before them). What I would do is find genuine used memory modules or specific compatibles as systems from this era, especially lga775 with ddr3, was awfully picky about module construction.

Solution