Question RAM problem

Jul 31, 2020
Hello,
I am currently playing on only 8gb of RAM, because when adding another 8gb, PC goes to blue screen. This happens only when I am playing graphically demanding games, eg. COD Warzone/Apex legends.

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
RX 580
520w Seasonic
RAM HyperX predator 4x4
Motherboars MSI Tomahawk B450

Which slots are you installing them in? Starting with the CPU and moving to the right, 1, 2, 3 and 4, which ones are you trying to use them in AND did you buy them in a set or are they mismatched memory modules?

Mismatched INCLUDES DIMMs that are the same part number or model, but were bought separately, not in the same kit.

Jul 31, 2020
Which slots are you installing them in? Starting with the CPU and moving to the right, 1, 2, 3 and 4, which ones are you trying to use them in AND did you buy them in a set or are they mismatched memory modules?

Mismatched INCLUDES DIMMs that are the same part number or model, but were bought separately, not in the same kit.
When I was rebuilding the PC, I might put them incorrectly. Didnt know that could make it go to blue screen.

I know it should be 1/3 and 2/4. But when I am playing on those 8gb, they act normally, like they should be. I have them on 2/4. I think the pairs are right.

I will try to swap them, thanks.

And yeah, its kit of 4.

Are these 4GB DIMMs? Good luck with that.

What speed are these? What is the exact model of the memory kit? Ryzen is fickle when it comes to memory and the Ryzen platform doesn't particularly like 4 DIMM configurations unless they are high end memory kits like the Samsung B-die stuff. Ryzen also seriously reduces memory speed support when more than two DIMMs are installed.

So are we saying that it WORKS with two DIMMs installed, in the A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th slots)? But when you add another two sticks to the A1 and B1 slots you get a bluescreen? Does it POST and then bluescreen or does it not complete the POST process?

I would try, with two DIMMs installed, going into the BIOS and increasing the SOC voltage by about .020v, save settings, exit, power off, install the other two DIMMs, then power back on and see what happens.

Jul 31, 2020

What speed are these? What is the exact model of the memory kit? Ryzen is fickle when it comes to memory and the Ryzen platform doesn't particularly like 4 DIMM configurations unless they are high end memory kits like the Samsung B-die stuff. Ryzen also seriously reduces memory speed support when more than two DIMMs are installed.

So are we saying that it WORKS with two DIMMs installed, in the A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th slots)? But when you add another two sticks to the A1 and B1 slots you get a bluescreen? Does it POST and then bluescreen or does it not complete the POST process?

I would try, with two DIMMs installed, going into the BIOS and increasing the SOC voltage by about .020v, save settings, exit, power off, install the other two DIMMs, then power back on and see what happens.
There is another problem. When I just added those 2 DIMMs, i got red light on CPU for like .5s and then on vram, and now im stuck here...

I tried switching rams, all combinations, all of them same result...

Jul 31, 2020
There is another problem. When I just added those 2 DIMMs, i got red light on CPU for like .5s and then on vram, and now im stuck here...

I tried switching rams, all combinations, all of them same result...
And now neither 16 and 8gb dont work... same scenario, CPU red light, after that vram led

Jul 31, 2020

RAM HyperX Predator 3200mhz 1.35v

Jun 6, 2020
Of all 4 modules you own, do they all work when you install them one at a time at only 1st slot, only 2nd slot, and only 4th slot? So try each slot 4 times with each module. If on 3rd slot it fails for all 4 modules then your mobo is damaged.

Jul 31, 2020
So i got back to the point where 2 of my RAMs are working on 2nd and 4th slot. The other two are not working. If i put them in, I get red led DRAM and PC wont turn on.

Jun 6, 2020
The RAM is either bad or incompatible with the mobo. It's unusual both slot 3 is allegedly damaged and also that 2 of your 4 modules won't work. What if a working module in slot 1 is removed and placed only in slot 3...it should still POST and boot up. Can you check that? That would prove your mobo is ok.

Jul 31, 2020
The RAM is either bad or incompatible with the mobo. It's unusual both slot 3 is allegedly damaged and also that 2 of your 4 modules won't work. What if a working module in slot 1 is removed and placed only in slot 3...it should still POST and boot up. Can you check that? That would prove your mobo is ok.
One ram slot 3, and its working. That means the RAM is not working.

Jul 31, 2020
It cant be incompatable... This is like the most common PC build in 2019. Ryzen 5 2600/3600 RX 580/GTX 1070/RTX 2060 and 16gb RAM with B450

Last edited: