Ram question by newbie

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Have a Compaq deckpro EP/SB,win98,pentiumlll 600 megahertz,128 ram. Can
anyone tell me about ram or a site that is eazy to understand about
types of ram and how to buy. I have Belarc and showes 3 slots, 2 with 64
dimm. Do they need to be pc100?. I have 6 used computers i picked up and
theres a pc100, 64kb stick in one, can i add it to compaq 3rd slot ?, or
need it be a special for my pc ?.

The DeskPro EP/SB motherboard has an Intel 440BX chipset and uses common
low-density non-parity non-registered non-buffered PC100 DIMM memory. Not sure
whether the board and its BIOS will accept 256MB capacity DIMMs (probable), but
64MB or 128MB DIMMs are a no-brainer... Ben Myers

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:06:39 -0800, Tommeylee@webtv.net (TOM) wrote:

>Have a Compaq deckpro EP/SB,win98,pentiumlll 600 megahertz,128 ram. Can
>anyone tell me about ram or a site that is eazy to understand about
>types of ram and how to buy. I have Belarc and showes 3 slots, 2 with 64
>dimm. Do they need to be pc100?. I have 6 used computers i picked up and
>theres a pc100, 64kb stick in one, can i add it to compaq 3rd slot ?, or
>need it be a special for my pc ?.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Searched and found Crucial ram co..Says 512 max which is find, so guess
if i look for a pc100 sdram 168 pin dimm they will work. Seen some deals
on ebay but want to make sure of right one.---- Question---Crucial said
cl=2. What does this mean and BIOS, is that something i update if i
change ram or drive ?.. Looks like BIOS has not been updated since new
1999. Thanks for help.

If the motherboard has a Socket 370, then the max is 512MB as determined by the
Intel 810 chipset. If it's a Slot 1, then the limit is 384MB as determined by
the Intel 440BX chipset. The 512MB limit sounds a lot like a Socket 370 with
Intel 810 chipset.

The Intel 810 chipset can handle either PC100 or PC133 memory. Go by Crucial's
info. They are very good at what they do. CL2 is the memory clocking on a
DIMM.

As far as the BIOS goes, leave it as is. There may not even be a newer version,
but even so, you should have good reason to update a BIOS, such as an improved
feature or the fix of a defect.

The memory has no effect whatsoever should you change out the hard drive.

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:01:00 -0800, Tommeylee@webtv.net (TOM) wrote:

>Searched and found Crucial ram co..Says 512 max which is find, so guess
>if i look for a pc100 sdram 168 pin dimm they will work. Seen some deals
>on ebay but want to make sure of right one.---- Question---Crucial said
>cl=2. What does this mean and BIOS, is that something i update if i
>change ram or drive ?.. Looks like BIOS has not been updated since new
>1999. Thanks for help.

Ben,

My 5600i is Slot 1 (P3-450 and P3-500 -- I have two). With the latest BIOS,
it happily supports 768M (3 x 256 -- PC100 Single Density).

Just thought it was interesting.

Tom
> If the motherboard has a Socket 370, then the max is 512MB as determined
> by the
> Intel 810 chipset. If it's a Slot 1, then the limit is 384MB as
> determined by
> the Intel 440BX chipset. The 512MB limit sounds a lot like a Socket 370
> with
> Intel 810 chipset.
>
> The Intel 810 chipset can handle either PC100 or PC133 memory. Go by
> Crucial's
> info. They are very good at what they do. CL2 is the memory clocking on
> DIMM.
>
> As far as the BIOS goes, leave it as is. There may not even be a newer
> version,
> but even so, you should have good reason to update a BIOS, such as an
> improved
> feature or the fix of a defect.
>
> The memory has no effect whatsoever should you change out the hard drive.
>
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:01:00 -0800, Tommeylee@webtv.net (TOM) wrote:
>
>>Searched and found Crucial ram co..Says 512 max which is find, so guess
>>if i look for a pc100 sdram 168 pin dimm they will work. Seen some deals
>>on ebay but want to make sure of right one.---- Question---Crucial said
>>cl=2. What does this mean and BIOS, is that something i update if i
>>change ram or drive ?.. Looks like BIOS has not been updated since new
>>1999. Thanks for help.

The 440BX is designed to support up to 1GB of memory in 4 DIMM sockets. With 3
sockets, the limit is 768MB. Early BIOSes in 440BX motherboards were written
before 256MB DIMMs were available, and often limited the max to 384MB. Some
brands of motherboards have BIOS updates to deal with the "newer" 256MB DIMMs,
and some do not... Ben Myers