[SOLVED] Ram question, dram works fine but xmp don't. 2 sticks works fine but 4 don't for xmp?

Nov 29, 2020
re-writing this since doing test.

Ok re-writing this after doing lot of test.....
i change dram to 3600hz my pc works(not sure if it's running proper even though task manage shows 3600hz and icue shows 1800) but was told changing dram frequency is actually worse and can cause problems, to only use xmp which won't work unless i do the below methods.

I ran 2 ram slots in dimma2 / dimmb2 with xmp works no errors instantly like with all 4, swapped the ram sticks too and fine.ran dimma2 / dimmb1 / dimmb2 / no errors again. swap around ram sticks to test, all fineran dimma1 solo, won't turn on pc. then dimma1 / dimmb1 still won't come on?? wth

ran all 4 slots, xmp won't work but dram change does.

why is it showing the proper ram in dimma1?but won't run ram in it solo or a1/b1 like it supposed to do? If my ram was bad,One of them would of gave me errors when switching them out when doing dimma2/dimmb1/ swap outs?along with dimma2/dimmb1/dimmb2 swap around, no issues with xmp...

so what do you people think? should my mobo be able to run ram on a1 slot solo?

i can't change the timings like in xmp, only frequency? so idk?
18-22-22-42
default is 15-15-15-36...i can't tell if it's changing those when changing dram

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550-GAMING-CARBON-WIFI/Specification

my motherboard

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW32GX4M4C3600C18

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...2GX4M4C3600C18 my ram

cpu is ryzen 5 5600x

the timing shown in cpuz for dram frequency is correct too, just odd. so i guess i don't need to use xmp ? i don't know what's going on and why xmp is being hard on me when using all 4 but fine with 3? but ram slot 1 wont boot up the pc.

Last edited:
Solution
Ryzen 5000 has brought changes. Some of what applied to Ryzen 3000 and prior is no longer true, often backwards.

Ryzen 5000 works best with Dual Rank ram setups. Most all 8gb sticks of 3200+ are single rank so have a single data path. Using 4x sticks gives 2 sets of single rank which then act as dual rank by having 2 data paths.

16gb sticks are mainly dual rank to start with, so work best as a 2x stick kit. Having 4x sticks creates 8 data paths and that lowers performance, maybe to the point of having lowered speeds (same as prior gens)

XMP is a pre-written set of parameters designed for 2x sticks. Introducing 4x sticks may not work as intended with XMP as the memory controller and dram voltages may not be sufficient and require...
Tested 2 and 2 and both on xmp gave me no issues. i'm going to swap around to different ram slots to see if that causes an issue. not sure what's going on, and not sure if dram freq actually solves my problem.

i can run ram slots 2 and 4 but not 1 and 2, thats suppose to be right? i got 2 3 4 on now and gonna test.
Just look at MB manual, it should tell you all about RAM slot configuration. On most new MBs, slots A2 and B2 are standard for 2 sticks, adding third to A1 or B1 etc.
Mixing RAM could cause some additional problems though. Best to have all from same kit.

Nov 29, 2020
Just look at MB manual, it should tell you all about RAM slot configuration. On most new MBs, slots A2 and B2 are standard for 2 sticks, adding third to A1 or B1 etc.
Mixing RAM could cause some additional problems though. Best to have all from same kit.

ok reran test, this is a new write up.

Ok re-writing this after doing lot of test.....i change dram to 3600hz my pc works(not sure if it's running proper even though task manage shows 3600hz and icue shows 1800)

I ran 2 ram slots in dimma2 / dimmb2 with xmp works no errors instantly like with all 4, swapped the ram sticks too and fine.
ran dimma2 / dimmb1 / dimmb2 / no errors again. swap around ram sticks to test, all fine
ran dimma1 solo, won't turn on pc. then dimma1 / dimmb1 still won't come on?? wth
why is it showing the proper ram in dimma1? but won't run ram in it solo or a1/b1 like it supposed to do? If my ram was bad, One of them would of gave me errors when switching them out when doing dimma2/dimmb1/ swap outs? along with dimma2/dimmb1/dimmb2 swap around, no issues with xmp...

so what do you people think?

if it was my mobo, it wouldn't show all 32gb of ram? I should be able to run then im dimma1/dimmb1 too even though manual says to do dimma2/dimmb2

my mobo

also if i do dram frequency to 3600 and works without issues, is that just as good as xmp? because that works but got a feeling that it wont work as good as xmp would?

Last edited:
ok reran test, this is a new write up.

Ok re-writing this after doing lot of test.....i change dram to 3600hz my pc works(not sure if it's running proper even though task manage shows 3600hz and icue shows 1800)

I ran 2 ram slots in dimma2 / dimmb2 with xmp works no errors instantly like with all 4, swapped the ram sticks too and fine.
ran dimma2 / dimmb1 / dimmb2 / no errors again. swap around ram sticks to test, all fine
ran dimma1 solo, won't turn on pc. then dimma1 / dimmb1 still won't come on?? wth
why is it showing the proper ram in dimma1? but won't run ram in it solo or a1/b1 like it supposed to do? If my ram was bad, One of them would of gave me errors when switching them out when doing dimma2/dimmb1/ swap outs? along with dimma2/dimmb1/dimmb2 swap around, no issues with xmp...

so what do you people think?

if it was my mobo, it wouldn't show all 32gb of ram? I should be able to run then im dimma1/dimmb1 too even though manual says to do dimma2/dimmb2

my mobo
Didn't you look at MB manual ?? It clearly shows 1stick in A2. 2 sticks in A2 and B2.
Also please answer if all sticks are from same kit of 4 ? which exact RAM ?

Nov 29, 2020
Some are just picky.

some? i just need to know if its my mobo ram slots and need to rma or my memory...just odd no issues for ram 2/3/4 and 2/4 but i can't get 1 and 1/3 to come on...not sure if thats in the mobo to force people to pick the right channels, cause lot of new builders will go ram slots 1 and 2.

also if i do dram frequency to 3600 and works without issues, is that just as good as xmp? because that works but got a feeling that it wont work as good as xmp would?

some? i just need to know if its my mobo ram slots and need to rma or my memory...just odd no issues for ram 2/3/4 and 2/4 but i can't get 1 and 1/3 to come on...not sure if thats in the mobo to force people to pick the right channels, cause lot of new builders will go ram slots 1 and 2.

For your MB it's in the manual.
XMP is just set of instructions for BIOS to make settings that particular RAM manufacturer deems right, it's just help not written in stone. If you can make same settings manually it's same thing.
PS:
You might want to consult DRAM-Calculator-for-Ryzen-1.7.3 https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7164-ryzen-dram-calculator.html

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020
For your MB it's in the manual.
XMP is just set of instructions for BIOS to make settings that particular RAM manufacturer deems right, it's just help not written in stone. If you can make same settings manually it's same thing.

Why is my dimma1 not letting me run ram on it solo? and i'm getting errors on hcl memtest and bsod for xmp? just seems odd.

2/3/4 and 2/4 work fine but can't test 1/3 or 1 solo...dimm slots, but all 4 cause errors for xmp? there's something going on that can be fixed. i spent a lot of money to build this and rather get it running without issues.

Nov 29, 2020
bump with new updates. cpuz show proper timing with dram freq change. i guess i should be ok, or should i rma cause something seems off? xmp working with 3 of 4 sticks and wont boot with ram in slot 1 solo?

Nov 29, 2020
Did you run RAM diagnostics, independent ones like MemTest86 ?

i bought hcl memtest pro. gonna run it tonight but seems fine.. but my friend said

Selecting XMP sets ALLOT of things..... not just those 15-15-15 -32 timings and speed but also dram voltage and all kinds of tertiariy timings and such, like REAL deep

and the agesa code for 5000 series cpu's is not the best at the moment tbh....

anothe rthing to look at when doing this is having a look at the Fclock

use dram calc by 1usmus to a safe 3600 preset and see where that gets ya

i bought hcl memtest pro. gonna run it tonight but seems fine.. but my friend said

Selecting XMP sets ALLOT of things..... not just those 15-15-15 -32 timings and speed but also dram voltage and all kinds of tertiariy timings and such, like REAL deep

and the agesa code for 5000 series cpu's is not the best at the moment tbh....

anothe rthing to look at when doing this is having a look at the Fclock

use dram calc by 1usmus to a safe 3600 preset and see where that gets ya
AGESA 1201 is out, should be soon in BIOS for many MBs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen 5000 has brought changes. Some of what applied to Ryzen 3000 and prior is no longer true, often backwards.

Ryzen 5000 works best with Dual Rank ram setups. Most all 8gb sticks of 3200+ are single rank so have a single data path. Using 4x sticks gives 2 sets of single rank which then act as dual rank by having 2 data paths.

16gb sticks are mainly dual rank to start with, so work best as a 2x stick kit. Having 4x sticks creates 8 data paths and that lowers performance, maybe to the point of having lowered speeds (same as prior gens)

XMP is a pre-written set of parameters designed for 2x sticks. Introducing 4x sticks may not work as intended with XMP as the memory controller and dram voltages may not be sufficient and require slight bumping.

DDR is dual data rate. So in some software it's read as 3600MHz, in some its read as 1800MHz, both are correct, determined by whether the dual or data rate is what's used.

For a 5000 series, 3800/3866 is optimal, 4000 is doable and maintain a 1:1:1 ratio by default. For faster speeds, that'd require manual editing of the Infinity Fabric settings to maintain clocks below the 2000 threshold.

All that said, at default speeds (non xmp) you should be able to boot with a single ram stick in any slot. That doesn't apply to xmp settings. A2 is the primary slot, recommended for single stick and xmp settings, A1/B1 may not work under xmp at all.

Solution
Nov 29, 2020

XMP is a pre-written set of parameters designed for 2x sticks. Introducing 4x sticks may not work as intended with XMP as the memory controller and dram voltages may not be sufficient and require slight bumping.

DDR is dual data rate. So in some software it's read as 3600MHz, in some its read as 1800MHz, both are correct, determined by whether the dual or data rate is what's used.

For a 5000 series, 3800/3866 is optimal, 4000 is doable and maintain a 1:1:1 ratio by default. For faster speeds, that'd require manual editing of the Infinity Fabric settings to maintain clocks below the 2000 threshold.

All that said, at default speeds (non xmp) you should be able to boot with a single ram stick in any slot. That doesn't apply to xmp settings. A2 is the primary slot, recommended for single stick and xmp settings, A1/B1 may not work under xmp at all.

so its my mobo? ram 1 won't work unless 234 are in

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Does that matter? You have a 4x stick kit. So should be using all 4 sticks anyway. If xmp doesn't work as is, set it, but bump dram voltage up 0.05v - 0.1v.
If that doesn't affect getting all 4 sticks stable, you can change SoC Voltage upto 1.2v. That's Ryzen memory controller.

Also might need to check for updated bios, beta is fine for this, as Agesa versions affect ram compatibility greatly.

Feb 28, 2021
defective ram, got new ram and fixed it....i saw that cybernexus said 4x ram slots were better on 5600x and that's why i got it, 10% increase in performance. guess just bad luck on my first pck of ram