[SOLVED] RAM question: old model or newer one?

dfdji

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
Hey all, I need some help with a decision. So 4 years ago I built my PC, and while doing that I bought this 8gb ram stick- "G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform/Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15S-8GVR". Now I am falling short of ram and have decided to go to 16gb.

So my question is should I buy one more stick of this same ram which is some 7 years old model, or should I just remove my current ram and get 2 whole new latest rams? Is there any big performance difference between G.SKILL Ripjaws V F4-2400C15S-8GVR and latest rams?

Note that my current ram is working just fine and pricing for the ram is same as new rams, so if I get 2 new different rams I'll probably be just wasting my current ram stick. My use is mostly software dev./ML, CSGO, sometimes linux VM. Thanks in advance for helping!!

Here's the link for my current ram- https://www.amazon.in/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-288-Pin-Platform-F4-2400C15S-8GVR/dp/B017QGNE6M

Solution
The problem is that you can not buy the exact same stick.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Ram must be matched as to internal workings.
Your odds of success are quite good with Intel.
I might guess 90% of the time a second stick will work.

You did not ask, but your motherboard supports ram up to 3400 speeds.
But, unless you are using integrated graphics, there is little benefit from faster speeds.
The benefits of more ram is likely to be much higher.
Hey all, I need some help with a decision. So 4 years ago I built my PC, and while doing that I bought this 8gb ram stick- "G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform/Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15S-8GVR". Now I am falling short of ram and have decided to go to 16gb.

So my question is should I buy one more stick of this same ram which is some 7 years old model, or should I just remove my current ram and get 2 whole new latest rams? Is there any big performance difference between G.SKILL Ripjaws V F4-2400C15S-8GVR and latest rams?

Note that my current ram is working just fine and pricing for the ram is same as new rams, so if I get 2 new different rams I'll probably be just wasting my current ram stick. My use is mostly software dev./ML, CSGO, sometimes linux VM. Thanks in advance for helping!!

Here's the link for my current ram- https://www.amazon.in/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-288-Pin-Platform-F4-2400C15S-8GVR/dp/B017QGNE6M
You might want to stay with just one thread.

should I buy one more stick of this same ram which is some 7 years old model, or should I just remove my current ram and get 2 whole new
adding & mixing kits is never recommended.
compatibility and data syncing is never guaranteed even with the exact same make & model modules if they weren't tested and packaged together.

you should definitely get a new 2x ≥3200MHz kit.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Adding a second stick may well work, but it is not guaranteed.
If that were to happen, what would plan B be?

I might suggest you buy a 2 x 8gb kit with specs the same as your current 8gb.
You are guaranteed 16gb in dual channel mode.

Then try adding in your old 8gb.
If it works properly, you will have 24gb of which 16gb will be in dual channel mode and the odd 8gb will be in single channel mode.
That is called flex mode.

Verify that all ram is truly operating properly.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

dfdji

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
You might want to stay with just one thread.
I tried for a day but was not getting satisfactory responses, even tried to find a way to delete that thread but couldn't as nobody posted good enough info there. So had no option to start a fresh thread as I need this solved asap. Sorry if it caused you any discomfort.

dfdji

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Adding a second stick may well work, but it is not guaranteed.
If that were to happen, what would plan B be?

I might suggest you buy a 2 x 8gb kit with specs the same as your current 8gb.
You are guaranteed 16gb in dual channel mode.

Then try adding in your old 8gb.
If it works properly, you will have 24gb of which 16gb will be in dual channel mode and the odd 8gb will be in single channel mode.
That is called flex mode.

Verify that all ram is truly operating properly.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.
I am using Asus z170 pro gaming with i5 6600K and WD Blue 1TB.

According to what you have written, does it mean that the performance is not guaranteed even if I buy exact same 1 more ram stick of 8gb? Like I have to buy 2x8gb out of the box, tested ram kits??

The problem is that you can not buy the exact same stick.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Ram must be matched as to internal workings.
Your odds of success are quite good with Intel.
I might guess 90% of the time a second stick will work.

You did not ask, but your motherboard supports ram up to 3400 speeds.
But, unless you are using integrated graphics, there is little benefit from faster speeds.
The benefits of more ram is likely to be much higher.

Solution