RAM question regarding compatibility.

lkeene4

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
I currently have 4GB of DDR3 RAM (2x2Gb) with the model number PC3-10600U-09-10-B0 running at 1333MHZ in dual channel. I intend to buy another 4GB of RAM (2x2GB) to fill the remaining 2 sockets. The only difference between the ram I plan on adding and the ram currently installed is that the model number is PC3-10600U-09-11-A1 on the ram I intend to buy still running at 1333MHZ . Will all the ram be compatible with each other. Thanks for your help and please excuse me if I am paranoid.

Those are not the model numbers. Those are identifiers, but not model numbers. Both those numbers bring up multiple part numbers with those exact identifiers but different modules. If you can post a link to the RAM you are intending to purchase, and if you can download and run CPU-Z, which is free, you can look on the SPD tab, it should list the part number. Make sure to change the slot number in the drop down box on the SPD tab to look at both current modules to make sure they are in fact the same.

They should be compatible though as they are both DDR3 1333mhz modules. The only question is whether they are of the same voltage and chip density.

It would also be helpful if you posted your system specs:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2299418/obtain-basic-advanced-system-information.html

lkeene4

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015

According to CPUZ ram is installed into slots 1 and 3 both slots read identical apart from the serial number screenshot is as follows:
hWpZ5S.jpg

The link to the ram I want to buy is here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381133480547?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
System Specs are: Intel core 2 duo E8400
4 gigs of ram
intergrated graphics
vista

I don't think those chips will run together, even with similar specs, as they have a different number of chips and a few other different specs. They might, but I wouldn't take the chance. It would be better to just get the same part number. Are you in the US or another country?

lkeene4

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Thanks for your help. I live in New Zealand so RAM is expensive locally compared to overseas resulting in me looking to buy Computer parts overseas. In future ill only look into purchasing RAM of the exact same part number.

TRENDING THREADS