RAM QUESTION: Tweaking Intel Ram For AMD?

truest

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Solution
There's no such think as "Intel RAM". It's just labeled that way because it runs under the 1.65v limit for Intel chips. All you have to do is manually set the RAM speed to 1600MHz, the first four timings to 7-8-7-24, and the voltage to 1.6v in the BIOS.

69Rocket-Joe

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

Ha Ha, that is funny because I am doing the exact same thing. Started a thread here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266529-30-question-intel-build
I have close to the same board with a MSI 790FX. My build will be waiting for a PSU and GPU for a few more weeks, so if you get it tweaked I would appreciate some settings. If I get ahead in my funding and get any settings I will pass them on as well.

-Joe

truest

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I understand I need to manually set the timings. I know I tweak it through the BIOS, but I dont what timings?

Also, because my friend is selling it to me for 50% off. He bought an ASUS D:

There's no such think as "Intel RAM". It's just labeled that way because it runs under the 1.65v limit for Intel chips. All you have to do is manually set the RAM speed to 1600MHz, the first four timings to 7-8-7-24, and the voltage to 1.6v in the BIOS.

Solution

truest

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
AH THANK YOU SHORTSTUFF_MT. STRAIGHT FORWARD.

SPOON FED :D

NOOBY question. When wanting to OC or OPTIMIZE my RAM, is having higher numbers for timing better or worse?

Im looking forward to OC my RAM, but unsure about the stability and how much of an increase of voltage should be used.

truest

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Thank you. Whats an IDEAL max performance timings on my RAM? and how much of an increase voltage would it need?

I want to put my RAM to the max and push its limits without burning it out or causing instability.

Does the voltage have to stay within range of my CPU?
My CPU is a Phenom x 4 955 Black edition. The voltage ranges from 0.875v -1.5v.
How much more voltage can this CPU take?

Also, is it recommended to overclock with GlockGen (a program that overclocks through windows) or use BIOS?

In addition to that, the MSI 790gx Motherboard has a unique OVERCLOCK switch. Theres so many ways to overclock (BIOS, CLOCKGEN [but everytime you reboot you have to overclock again], and the EZ OC switch [on the mobo]). What is recommended? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Your mileage will vary with overclocking your RAM. It's always preferred to overclock using the BIOS instead of flaky software products. I wouldn't even worry about overclocking your RAM, though. Just set it to run at its rated specs. You won't even be able to tell the difference in everyday use. Overclocking RAM above its rated specs doesn't really make any sense.

truest

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Thanks again. Ill do that. I am actually gonna buy another set to fill the board allowing me to have 8 gigs of ram. So ill just set it at its rated specs and leave it alone.

Although you said its preferred to over clock through bios, should I try out the OC switch? Will it allow me to OC at MAX settings?

I know in the BIOS theres an option that allows me to MAX FSB speed.

Should I be taking the short cuts and Use the switch and enable the MAX FSB speed? Or over clock manually?

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=techexpressdesc2&express_no=79&page=2

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=techexpressdesc2&express_no=79&page=5

kerdika

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
did some research, the "optimized for Intel" is referring to the ram supporting Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles). which allows for "Plug N Play" if you will, where AMD uses EPP or Enhanced Performance Profile to do the same job.

I'm not sure about the OC switch. I've avoided MSI products for a long time because of some quality issues I had with them in the past. I also don't like their gimmicks like an "OC switch". I wouldn't waste your time with the OC switch. Making changes directly in the BIOS is always the preferred method.