pbennett

Reputable
Nov 13, 2018
So once again I find myself doing too much research and confusing myself. I'm hoping someone can help me out with this one.

I'm looking at upgrading to 32gigs of ram. I've recently started streaming and I'm finding myself using 12+ of my 16 gigs if ram which I believe is the reason why my stream is getting glitchy mainly when I stream GTA / five m as it requires a ton of applications to be open ( discord, steam, team speak, GTA/fivem plus strramlabs).

I currently have 16 gigs if gskill 3000 MHz overclocked to 3200 MHz.

Question 1
I have a prime z390a motherboard,2080 ti and 8700k cpu. Does this support quad channel ? Also what is quad channel. All of my research has just confused me more than I already was.

Question 2
I stream and game from 1pc. Is 32gigs of ram pretty much essential ? Also what do you recommend ? I've been looking at Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz 4x8 gig

Solution
Your system would benefit from more ram.
See Committed value in Memory performance tab. Your system has 22.7GB of ram requested, but you have only 16GB of physical ram available.
That board only supports dual channel (as listed on it's specifications page). It has four total RAM slots, but desktop boards usually have two slots per channel. A quad channel board would then have eight slots.

Running out of memory definitely shows down a computing device (PC, mac, phone, tablet, whatever) a ton though if there's comfortably more RAM than is used having more doesn't make it faster. If you're at risk of having all available physical RAM taken up such that the device begins to "thrash" the storage (HDD or otherwise), that is, repeatedly swap data to and from virtual memory and actual memory, it's time to upgrade. Even SSD are much slower than RAM, so thrashing to virtual memory on an SSD still isn't great.

So once again I find myself doing too much research and confusing myself. I'm hoping someone can help me out with this one.

I'm looking at upgrading to 32gigs of ram. I've recently started streaming and I'm finding myself using 12+ of my 16 gigs if ram which I believe is the reason why my stream is getting glitchy mainly when I stream GTA / five m as it requires a ton of applications to be open ( discord, steam, team speak, GTA/fivem plus strramlabs).

I currently have 16 gigs if gskill 3000 MHz overclocked to 3200 MHz.

Question 1
I have a prime z390a motherboard,2080 ti and 8700k cpu. Does this support quad channel ? Also what is quad channel. All of my research has just confused me more than I already was.

Question 2
I stream and game from 1pc. Is 32gigs of ram pretty much essential ? Also what do you recommend ? I've been looking at Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz 4x8 gig
Are you recording to the same drive that the games are installed? What is your recording/streaming bitrate setting? What is the speed of your internet upload. GTA5 specifically only uses up to 8 CPU threads, so you should have plenty of resources for encoding streams.

pbennett

Reputable
Nov 13, 2018
Are you recording to the same drive that the games are installed? What is your recording/streaming bitrate setting? What is the speed of your internet upload. GTA5 specifically only uses up to 8 CPU threads, so you should have plenty of resources for encoding streams.
I actually almost never record my streams. Maybe a clip or two here and there. My internet won't be the problem as it's 1 gig / 750 MPs. All other games seem fine but GTA kills me. I just happened to notice the other day that it uses 12 gigs of ram as I have to have so many programs open.
Also everything is on an m.2. Not sure if that matters

I actually almost never record my streams. Maybe a clip or two here and there. My internet won't be the problem as it's 1 gig / 750 MPs. All other games seem fine but GTA kills me. I just happened to notice the other day that it uses 12 gigs of ram as I have to have so many programs open.
Also everything is on an m.2. Not sure if that matters
Well, increasing ram could fix the glitchy issues you have, but it might be something else causing it. Can you describe the glitching? Do you know for sure if you have 2x8 or 1x16GB? If it's 2x8GB make sure it's in dual channel mode.

pbennett

Reputable
Nov 13, 2018
Well, increasing ram could fix the glitchy issues you have, but it might be something else causing it. Can you describe the glitching? Do you know for sure if you have 2x8 or 1x16GB? If it's 2x8GB make sure it's in dual channel mode.
I'm sure i have 2x8 3000mhz overclocked to 3200mhz. I'm going to pick up another 16gig today to match.
the glitching is weird. sometimes i get a notification that I'm losing frames and other times the stream is running as if it cant handle it. here and there the game on my end not the stream end will be glitchy too. only really noticed when the ram was using 12 or more gigs

I'm sure i have 2x8 3000mhz overclocked to 3200mhz. I'm going to pick up another 16gig today to match.
the glitching is weird.
You will likely have to manually set timings running two kits, because the XMP timings may not work at 3000-3200. XMP will probably work at 2666 in 4x8GB, assuming you can even get all 4 modules to work together.

As for the streaming, try lowing your bitrate or resolution or both. You never said what streaming service you are using or your streaming bitrate, but you could try maybe 3/4 or 1/2 what you are using now. Also, make sure you are not streaming over Wi-Fi.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
What's your CPU utilization during all of that and what settings do you have in your stream and GTA? 6c/12t with game+stream, too high of utilization will cause you to drop frames on both the stream and the game.

pbennett

Reputable
Nov 13, 2018
What's your CPU utilization during all of that and what settings do you have in your stream and GTA? 6c/12t with game+stream, too high of utilization will cause you to drop frames on both the stream and the game.
for some reason its not letting me share a picture or link but this is what i see when in game.

CPU 68% - has fluctuated up to almost max when under heavy load.
Memory 11.9-12.5
GPU 66-99%

I seem to be getting frame drops when under load or when in custom buildings.

pbennett

Reputable
Nov 13, 2018

pbennett

Reputable
Nov 13, 2018
Your system would benefit from more ram.
See Committed value in Memory performance tab. Your system has 22.7GB of ram requested, but you have only 16GB of physical ram available.
Thank you, I bought an aditional 16 gig of ram yesterday. do you think after installing that, it would help level out the cpu and gpu ? I know they will be high at times during games, just looking for a bit of consistency