[SOLVED] RAM reading Single Channel in CPU-Z when its Dual Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2020
Hello everyone,

When I open CPU-Z and click on the Memory tab it shows that I have Single Channel memory installed, when in fact its Dual Channel memory that I have on the system. I did check the GSKILL website to verify that the RAM I bought was indeed Dual Channel. Could this be a Windows issue?
Here are my specs:

CPU - AMD Threadripper 2950X
GPU - Radeon VII
Mobo - Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha x399
RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Model F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
SSD - Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB
PSU - Corsair HX1000
AIO - Corsair H115i Platinum
OS - Windows 10 Professional 64bit

What I have tried so far to correct the issue:
  1. Fresh complete re-install of Windows 10 (wiped 970SSD for a clean install)
  2. Reverted back OC from 3200MHz to 2133MHz(stock) of the above mentioned RAM
  3. Cleared CMOS (due to constant crashing while on Facebook and Youtube browser)
  4. Updated Graphics Card Drivers
  5. Updated Chipset Drivers
  6. Updated BIOS (2001)
  7. Ran memtest86 the results were - 0 errors on all tests ran
  8. Removed both modules and seated them firmly on Dual Channel slots according to my Motherboard Manual.
I've yet to find the smoking gun and its frustrating the hell out of me!

Addendum: Images of CPU-Z and my RAM Configuration
These are the Slots being used:
6FNaeM2.jpg

Slot2:
85UnZQM.jpg

Slot6:
4LGY76l.jpg

Memory:
Cf3EPEv.jpg

RAM Currently config on my system:
XYntMCI.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020
No it's not. Your RAM in CPUZ show that you're in slot 2 and slot 6. C1 and A1 are slot 3 and 6. Move the left RAM one slot to the right. If you see CPUZ slot 3 and 6 populated it's good.

I tried that just now. It's still showing up as Single Channel on CPU-Z

here's a the layout of left side of mobo:
from left to right - D1, D2, C1, C2
fH60L6s.jpg

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Guess compatibility could be the issue.

Wondering if enabling D.O.C.P in the bios to get them running at rated speeds and correct timings could improve this. Ram are currently running at 2133, so maybe give that a go MisterFresko.

Wondering as well if a bent cpu pin could be enough to cause this without showing other symptoms. I guess if D.O.C.P fails, it'll kind of hint towards it.

Apr 18, 2020
G.Skill only shows six 2 x16GB memory kits, of any speed, that are compatible with that motherboard, and none of them are from the "Royal" series. Based on G.Skill's memory configurator, those sticks are not validated for that motherboard.

it seemed compatible using part picker:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/?compatible_with=TfQG3C#Z=32768002&m=17&s=403200&t=14

Although I think its odd that my rig works, but for some reason Dual Channel cannot be achieved.

Apr 18, 2020
Guess compatibility could be the issue.

Wondering if enabling D.O.C.P in the bios to get them running at rated speeds and correct timings could improve this. Ram are currently running at 2133, so maybe give that a go MisterFresko.

Wondering as well if a bent cpu pin could be enough to cause this without showing other symptoms. I guess if D.O.C.P fails, it'll kind of hint towards it.

Just rebooted my PC, entered BIOS and enabled D.O.C.P.
it's still showing up as Single Channel memory. The Frequency jumped to 1600MHz as intended

A bent CPU pin? would that have an effect on RAM functions? I hope that's not the case!

Apr 18, 2020
Well this certainly has been frustrating! At this point I think I'm going to e-mail ASUS to see if they have a solution to this problem of mine. In the meantime I think i'll break down my PC components and hose them down with compressed air to remove dust that could possibly be obstructing any connections. This is just very annoying to deal with, earlier I was working on a Carburetor rebuild for a Honda Shadow ACE motorcycle and discovered that one of the diaphragms in the carb was torn which will probably be a good $100 to replace... I just really do hope my PC doesn't have a faulty Mobo or CPU, that'll bankrupt me!

Anyways Thanks for the help guys! I really do appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.