[SOLVED] Ram recommendation for 5800x

overclock98

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Hey I am currently using a 5800x CPU with MSI x470 gaming pro motherboard and I was wondering whether upgrading from my current corsair vengeance RGB pro ram model number CMW16GX4M1D3000C16 and version is ver 5.30 to Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4-3600 Desktop Gaming Memory (Red) BL16G36C16U4R provide any major difference in tasks like gaming in CPU bound games?
thanks in advance

Solution
if your fps is below 60fps, then about 1-2fps gain?
tho it impoves minimum fps (fps drops)
did you try ram oveclock/tightening ram timings? it usualy yelds better performance gains (for gaming and system response) then swapping ram with not so eXtreme memory profiles

gaming is usualy light threaded (1-6 cpu cores)
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/clocktuner-2-1-for-ryzen-(ctr)-guide,1.html
try this tool, px profile will manage boost clock on your 6 best cores (for gaming), which usualy brings less heat and wattage from cpu while cpu clock is raised
if your fps is below 60fps, then about 1-2fps gain?
tho it impoves minimum fps (fps drops)
did you try ram oveclock/tightening ram timings? it usualy yelds better performance gains (for gaming and system response) then swapping ram with not so eXtreme memory profiles

gaming is usualy light threaded (1-6 cpu cores)
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/clocktuner-2-1-for-ryzen-(ctr)-guide,1.html
try this tool, px profile will manage boost clock on your 6 best cores (for gaming), which usualy brings less heat and wattage from cpu while cpu clock is raised

Solution

overclock98

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I haven't tried memory overclock, seems like a lengthy task considering it will be trial and error.
Will the difference in gaming be that much of a big deal at 1080p with higher frequency and better timings? I plan on using XMP

some games responds more to ram settings then others, max fps will slightly rise, and min fps will rise even more (0.1% fps drops)..so game will be smoother...see youtube..there are some video where people reduced just main timings and got some gain there
whats your ram latency now?
run aida64 ram latency test..

image.png.db8f2f296098f59bae2dd90f1c8f1783.png

here you can see some example....where it says manual, then it means manual timing (not XMP)
so a manual 3000 is faster then 3600XMP (with his ram modules)
each game will react differently, but overal system latencies will drop (including gpu driver), so cpu will wait less for ram to be done to compute more
if youre GPU bottlenecked then fps difference would be minimal

overclock98

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
That's good, I have been looking for a benchmark of valorant with 3000mhz 3200mhz and 3600mhz with 5000 series cpu. I haven't been able to find any such video. I wanted to know if I upgrade my 3000mhz cl 16 ram to 3600mhz cl 16 and run on xmp, will the performance improve on all low settings in games like valorant and cs go? my main concern happens to in games like valorant and cs go because that's all i play