RAM related BSOD

griffster101

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
After creating my new system two weeks ago, I have been plagued by BSOD which are RAM related (from searching on the internet) like Memory_Management and PFN something something. These BSODs have occured while gaming, specifically DayZ and Elder Scrolls Online Beta which my system should easily be able to cope with. Using Elder Scrolls Online as an example, my system constantly crashes to the desktop and has a couple of times crashed to a Memory_Management BSOD which makes me sure that all my gaming crashes are related to RAM.

I have ran Memtest and discovered no errors as well as the Windows Memory Test. I have built this system to be able to run games, so it is really annoying that I am unable to do so. I would be really grateful if any of you had any ideas about what is going on and what I could do to fix it. Many thanks.

Specifications:

8GB Corsair Vengance RAM
Gigabyte Z87-HD3 motherboard
i5-4670k processor
Gigabyte GTX 660 graphics card
Windows 7 64-Bit

check that your running the newest f7 bios. if your ram is 1600 speed or faster in the bios turn on xmp profile.
check in the bios that the system running stock speed. some bios like asus have a performance mode that can change voltage or bus speed and can cause issues. use cpu-z read the ram voltage spec. the new intel mb look for 1.5v ram if your ram is 1.6 or higher your going to have to bump the dram voltage. check that the ram in the main two slots and are locked in. if the error still there try one ram stick see if it the ram. one other issues that it can be is a weak power supply or one that rippling out under load. what the brand and wattage of your power supply.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Might recheck your specs and update, the 3570K doesn't run on Z87 mobos - completely different socket, so if indeed the Z87 prob have a 4670K or if it is a 3570K then you prob have the Z77....either way, ensure the latest BIOs and then if DRAM is 1600 or better, enable XMP and select Profile 1

griffster101

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Not a good start haha! You're right it is the 4670k, apologies there. I'm not totally sure about taking the risk with flashing the bios just yet. I'd rather make sure there is no other alternative before I do that. My RAM has a default of 1.5v so I don't think that's the issue. I'm going to try using one module of RAM at a time, we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the responses guy, it's much appreciated.

griffster101

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
I haven't increased the DRAM voltage to 1.55 yet, but I've just had three new BSODs. One was System_Service_Exception, one was something about trying to write read-only memory and the other had no comment at all. The System_Service occurred while trying to play DayZ (it lasted a bit longer now I put on that XMP profile) the other two happened on restart. Do these BSODs still point to faulty RAM or a deeper problem?

griffster101

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
I had a look around the bios and couldnt see which version it was. How do I find out? I'm gunna try the 1.56 DRAM voltage. If that doesn't work I reckon I'll just send it back and get a new pair of RAM.

griffster101

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
My BIOS is f6 version. The DRAM voltage increase to 1.56 doesn't seem to have help. I constantly crash when playing Planetside 2 but I don't go to BSOD it just freezes the computer and forces me to turn it off manually. I don't see any other solution than to replace the RAM. If I get new RAM and that still doesn't work, then I will flash the BIOS.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
That's a directX error, which may be from DirectX it self or may be from a video driver, check you have the latest video driver and if you do might check for a beta or drop back a version, also make sure Direct X is up to date (run Win Update), another possible is to open a Command Prompt window as administrator and run the command SFC /SCANNOW that is System File Check which will check your Win files for any that are corrupted

griffster101

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Just had another Memory_Management BSOD as I clicked the shut down button. Now it's happening during normal use and not just during gaming. Think its time to return and replace the RAM now.

As for the DirectX error, I definitely have the latest driver as well as the latest DirectX windows update and the System File Check came back with no problems. If it happens again, I'll raise it up on the Nvidia forums and go back a driver or two.

I really would like to thank you for your help mate, it's been much appreciated. I don't really think there is anything else I can try regarding the RAM issue other than replacing it if I'm not mistaken?