[SOLVED] RAM replacement - Game crashes and even blue screen reboot (once)

Sep 19, 2021
Hello everyone I am new to the forums so plaese forgive me if I don't have something in the proper place; I'll try my best here.

My PC:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz 43 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 927MHz (9-10-9-27)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH Z77 (LGA1155) 33 °C
Graphics
ASUS VG278HE (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (MSI) 52 °C
Storage
2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166 (SATA ) 32 °C
447GB INTEL SSDSC2CW480A3 (SATA (SSD))
117GB Generic- SD/MMC USB Device (USB )
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12NS29
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

My PC was built in 2012 and I never needed to upgrade to replace anything until recently.
I have changed a few case fans about 2 years ago, my GPU was replaced about 1-1/2 years ago (GPU drivers are kept up to date 2021) and today I changed the RAM.

The RAM that was previously in the PC was Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 4 x 4GB (total 16GB) 1.5v (9-10-9-27) 1866 MHz( per sticker on RAM) #CML16GX3M4A1866C9 (if my old eyes can read the label correctly)

I was gifted by a family member, Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 4 x 8GB (total 32GB) 1.5V (9-10-9-27) 1600 MHz (MHz rating was pulled from shipping box and not the ram label itself) #CML32GX3M4A1600C10

I pulled out the old RAM and installed the new ram (all 4 sticks), went to start the PC, It booted up, shut down and rebooted itself. The PC was on (fans running) but never once did the monitor or keyboard light up.
I tried again just to make sure and I got the same result.

I pulled ALL the RAM and installed 1ea. 8GB stick in the first slot and left the other three empty.
It booted up and shut off and this time it stayed off. (computer dark -fans not running)
I moved this same stick of RAM from slot 1 to slot 3, PC booted up, Monitor came online and keyboard was active.
I then shut everything back down and started adding 1 stick of RAM at a time, booting up and making sure it remained stable and shutting everyting down before adding the next stick.

Finally all 4 RAM was in and the PC could identify all 4 sticks and a total of 32GB of RAM.

I ran everything on HEAVEN BENCHMARK to see if everyting would remain stable and it did.

The problem came into play when I started playing video games.

The first 10-15 min would be perfectly smooth, no issues what so ever and then all of a sudden I crash to the desktop.
I would switch games and very similar as before, I would play fine for a while then just crash.
It didn't seem to make a difference what graphic setting I was playing on, It seemed more time based, 10-15 min, boom, crash.

One time I got a blue screen that poped up saying the computer needed to reboot but they needed to collect data first.

Everything shut down and restarted.
I rejoined my game and again, crashed to the desktop.

Im not sure if I just have bad RAM or if someting needs to be updated to read the RAM properly.

I don't run anything overclocked or anything special like that.
Everything in this PC is just as it came and with stock settings.

I dont know a great deal about PCs or PC language so if anyone could dumb down the instructions that would be most appreciated.

I can follow simple instructions but I would need help getting to things like BIOS or SafeMode.

Thanks for your time and understanding.

If there is anything further I can provide please let me know and I'll do my best to get it posted here.

I really would like to keep the 32GB RAM but if I must do away with it I would.

Thanks again.

Solution
I havent tried to update the BIOS maily because I was seeing a lot of people saying you can ruin your PC doing this. Some stated that windows will update this for you but again, I'm unsure if this is true or not.
I'm not the most tech savy guy so I was unsure how to go about this safely and where is the best place to download from.
My BIO version however is from 2012( 08/03/12 10:22:38 Ver: 15.04) and the last update I saw was 2013. I really wasnt sure if that was a good thing to try or not given the age.
Thanks
I am still using an E3 1240 V2 and updated the mobo bios to the latest, and it does run fine :D

Anyways, try this step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not...
Hello everyone I am new to the forums so plaese forgive me if I don't have something in the proper place; I'll try my best here.

My PC:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz 43 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 927MHz (9-10-9-27)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH Z77 (LGA1155) 33 °C
Graphics
ASUS VG278HE (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (MSI) 52 °C
Storage
2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166 (SATA ) 32 °C
447GB INTEL SSDSC2CW480A3 (SATA (SSD))
117GB Generic- SD/MMC USB Device (USB )
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12NS29
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

My PC was built in 2012 and I never needed to upgrade to replace anything until recently.
I have changed a few case fans about 2 years ago, my GPU was replaced about 1-1/2 years ago (GPU drivers are kept up to date 2021) and today I changed the RAM.

The RAM that was previously in the PC was Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 4 x 4GB (total 16GB) 1.5v (9-10-9-27) 1866 MHz( per sticker on RAM) #CML16GX3M4A1866C9 (if my old eyes can read the label correctly)

I was gifted by a family member, Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 4 x 8GB (total 32GB) 1.5V (9-10-9-27) 1600 MHz (MHz rating was pulled from shipping box and not the ram label itself) #CML32GX3M4A1600C10

I pulled out the old RAM and installed the new ram (all 4 sticks), went to start the PC, It booted up, shut down and rebooted itself. The PC was on (fans running) but never once did the monitor or keyboard light up.
I tried again just to make sure and I got the same result.

I pulled ALL the RAM and installed 1ea. 8GB stick in the first slot and left the other three empty.
It booted up and shut off and this time it stayed off. (computer dark -fans not running)
I moved this same stick of RAM from slot 1 to slot 3, PC booted up, Monitor came online and keyboard was active.
I then shut everything back down and started adding 1 stick of RAM at a time, booting up and making sure it remained stable and shutting everyting down before adding the next stick.

Finally all 4 RAM was in and the PC could identify all 4 sticks and a total of 32GB of RAM.

I ran everything on HEAVEN BENCHMARK to see if everyting would remain stable and it did.

The problem came into play when I started playing video games.

The first 10-15 min would be perfectly smooth, no issues what so ever and then all of a sudden I crash to the desktop.
I would switch games and very similar as before, I would play fine for a while then just crash.
It didn't seem to make a difference what graphic setting I was playing on, It seemed more time based, 10-15 min, boom, crash.

One time I got a blue screen that poped up saying the computer needed to reboot but they needed to collect data first.

Everything shut down and restarted.
I rejoined my game and again, crashed to the desktop.

Im not sure if I just have bad RAM or if someting needs to be updated to read the RAM properly.

I don't run anything overclocked or anything special like that.
Everything in this PC is just as it came and with stock settings.

I dont know a great deal about PCs or PC language so if anyone could dumb down the instructions that would be most appreciated.

I can follow simple instructions but I would need help getting to things like BIOS or SafeMode.

Thanks for your time and understanding.

If there is anything further I can provide please let me know and I'll do my best to get it posted here.

I really would like to keep the 32GB RAM but if I must do away with it I would.

Thanks again.
tried to update the bios to the latest? then reset bios settings after bios update. and not to run xmp profiles.

Sep 19, 2021
tried to update the bios to the latest? then reset bios settings after bios update.
I havent tried to update the BIOS maily because I was seeing a lot of people saying you can ruin your PC doing this. Some stated that windows will update this for you but again, I'm unsure if this is true or not.
I'm not the most tech savy guy so I was unsure how to go about this safely and where is the best place to download from.
My BIO version however is from 2012( 08/03/12 10:22:38 Ver: 15.04) and the last update I saw was 2013. I really wasnt sure if that was a good thing to try or not given the age.
Thanks

Thanks
I am still using an E3 1240 V2 and updated the mobo bios to the latest, and it does run fine :D

Anyways, try this step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 8 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them. Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution
Sep 19, 2021
Where is a safe place to install DDU?

Also how do you enter the BIOs page. I had my friend show me how to find the version by typing "dxdiag" in the run command box.

also a dumb question, how do you update the drives and such while youre offline?

Sorry to be a pain, I'm just trying to fully understand this process before I'm mid way through it and then have a question.

Where is a safe place to install DDU?
you dont install ddu, you just extract them, it's a non install app.

Also how do you enter the BIOs page
i think it's between del and f2, just spam them when you're pc about to boot. (my friend did that on P67 Sabertooth)

also a dumb question, how do you update the drives and such while youre offline?
Did you read the text completely first?
Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.
boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.