Question RAM Resets itself to 2133 upon cold boot?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hharriswilliam

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Hey! So this is my 2nd ever build, and it seems that others have a similar issue from searching EVERYWHERE, long story short;

My RAM (Gskill Ripjaws V 2x8GBs) is rated to run at CL16-18-18-38 @ 1.35V. I don't have any issues having to make changes in the bios, as the computer boots quick and fine. A few issues though; upon shutting down, if I were to boot the PC after, ONLY the RAM clocks reset to CL15, the standard clocks. I'm assuming the mobo isn't retaining my settings due to possibly a bad battery or a PSU. I haven't had any issues with this system ever since I've assembled it (about a week ago)

EDIT: I've tried the A1/B1 configurations versus the A2/B2 slots, as my mobo states in the manual they should be in the 2nd/4th slots.

I've also tried using both the XMP 2.0 profile, a mix of the XMP profile and custom settings, and simply custom settings to DDR4 3200 @ 16-18-18-18-38 @ 1.35V & @ 1.360V.

I've updated the BIOS to the latest one (1.70), I've considered trying the beta BIOS, but I'll wait until the official ones drop.

I'm assuming this could be a CMOS issue, MOBO or a PSU issue.

My specs are as follows:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
AsRock Phantom Gaming 4 X570
Gskill Ripjaws V (F4-3200C16D-16GVRB)
Western Digital Blue SSD 250GB
Corsair 430M, Bronze Rated
Geforce 1050 TI

---------------------------------------

A few other notes:

I moved this PSU from my previous system (a FX-6300 system)
No really bad issues other than it restarting once during boot-up, only to realize ONLY the memory clocks have reset to 2133, instead of 3200.
The CPU/DRAM LEDs turn on, but then quickly switch off to the VGA/HDD lights.
I've checked the slots and cables, everything's firmly in place.

I'm planning on upgrading the GPU and PSU very soon, but I'm just trying to get a grip on what the possible issues could be. I'm gonna attempt replacing the CMOS battery coin .

Any ideas from what I've mentioned?

EDITED

Last edited:

Endre

Reputable
Performance isn't the issue, or in question here. It is purely a matter of avoiding configuration errors, instability, degraded signal integrity and trouble free operation in general without random and unexplained memory errors from signal disruptions. Has nothing whatsoever to do with benchmarks, FPS or any other performance indicator. And since not every board is identical, there are going to be differences in the level to which these factors might be present or non-existent. So while it's great that you are able to run a pair of sticks in both configurations without any obvious problems while running your synthetic benchmarks, it's really not an indicator of whether or not it might be given a specific workload or extended period of sustained usage. And to be honest, nothing you ran even includes anything I would recommend running when testing memory configurations anyhow.

Even so, a sample of one, as we well know, does not ever "tell the tale" anyhow.

Well, anyway, I’ll leave them in the recommended slots: 2+4.
Just for my curiousity, what benchmarking programs are you using?
Prime’95? MemTest? FutureMark? PCMark? Sandra?
If so, I also have those, but I didn’t wanted to waste too many hours on benchmarking. 😃

I understand. Unfortunately when it comes to memory testing, too many hours is exactly what needs to happen in order to get an accurate picture of stability and fitness.

My preferred memory test procedures can be found here, in the testing section.

Reactions: DMAN999

Endre

Reputable
I understand. Unfortunately when it comes to memory testing, too many hours is exactly what needs to happen in order to get an accurate picture of stability and fitness.

My preferred memory test procedures can be found here, in the testing section.

Yeah! Prime95 and Memtest86 take... FOREVER to test memory modules.
I’ll use such in-depth testing tools only when I’ll have big problems. 😄

I wouldn't call a day forever. 8 hours of custom Prime and five or six hours of Memtest doesn't seem to be unrealistic if you're actually trying to find empirical evidence. Seems like a very short amount of time in fact. Might also consider Realbench, which is a great metric for testing both stability and performance.

Endre

Reputable
I wouldn't call a day forever. 8 hours of custom Prime and five or six hours of Memtest doesn't seem to be unrealistic if you're actually trying to find empirical evidence. Seems like a very short amount of time in fact. Might also consider Realbench, which is a great metric for testing both stability and performance.

Not being able to use my PC for 14 hours is a LONG TIME!
I’d do it if I’d receive errors, but I don’t, and thankfully, I never had memory issues (2004-2019).

No, that's not all folks. Obviously, you are completely UNABLE to read or comprehend the written English language. apparently, because I CLEARLY, and POINTEDLY, have said over and over again, ON DUAL CHANNEL MOTHERBOARDS. Quad or other higher channel memory architecture boards are ENTIRELY different and are only used on commercial and HEDT systems, not consumer systems, and therefore are completely irrelevant to this discussion.

ALL dual channel motherboards comply with the same population guidelines which state that for TWO DIMM operation, memory should be in the second and fourth slots which are the A2 and B2 slots.

That is from my very first post on this thread. Be sure what you are doing, BEFORE you do it. Not doing so can make you look ridiculous, like now, when you are still trying to prove something is wrong that there is zero chance you will ever be able to do because it simply IS NOT wrong.

Endre

Reputable
No, that's not all folks. Obviously, you are completely UNABLE to read or comprehend the written English language. apparently, because I CLEARLY, and POINTEDLY, have said over and over again, ON DUAL CHANNEL MOTHERBOARDS. Quad or other higher channel memory architecture boards are ENTIRELY different and are only used on commercial and HEDT systems, not consumer systems, and therefore are completely irrelevant to this discussion.

That is from my very first post on this thread. Be sure what you are doing, BEFORE you do it. Not doing so can make you look ridiculous, like now, when you are still trying to prove something is wrong that there is zero chance you will ever be able to do because it simply IS NOT wrong.

Hello!

Gigabyte motherboards might be different!

In all of the following manuals that are linked, there are screenshots of diverse BIOS’.
All of these examples are with only 1 memory module.
But they always used as the “default” slot: Slot #1 (DIMM-1), which leads to the conclusion that with 2 modules you should fill slot #3.

It would be strange to insert a single module in slot 1, to later move it to slot 2 for Dual configuration: 2+4.

1. Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
(page 44)
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-master_1001_190219_e.pdf

2. Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Designare (page 40)
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-designare_1001_190219_e.pdf

3. Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme
(page 44)
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-xtreme_1003_190520_e.pdf

PS: But generally YOU are right!
Other manufacturers specify as primary option A2+B2.

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.