[SOLVED] RAM retainment clips interfere with GPU installation

Jan 27, 2019
I recently purchased an itx motherboard, graphics card, cpu, and case. The system got stuck in a boot loop, so I opened it up to try reseating the ram. I figured out that the GPU is interfearing with the ram retainer clips, and when the gpu goes in, the retainer clips become undone, and the ram doesn’t seat. In other words, the GPU interferes with the RAM containment clips. There is not a second PCIE lane as it is an itx motherboard, and I can’t return the board. Is it alright to clip the retainment arms so that the gpu fits? I would be removing most of the clip itself, and if so, should I use simple wirecutters?

Solution

I'd try twisting it carefully to remove the clip, that way you could re-assemble it later if you wanted to. But I believe you could clip it at a safe spot with wire cutter to remove it too.

By the way, I don't really think of them as retainment clips but a removal clip as they help tremendously to pop the DIMM out of their contacts.

Jan 27, 2019

Would removing the removal clips allow the ram to still be properly seated and held down?

Jan 27, 2019

So would that mean that the only possible solution would be to cut the clips back a bit or can that cause issues aswell?

The socket has 288 friction-fit contacts gripping on the board. If each one grips with a holding pressure of only one ounce that's 288 ounces or 9 pounds (4.1 kilos) of holding pressure gripping on the board. You could probably lift the whole computer with one engaged DIMM (I do note it's mITX so probably kinda small). That's why the ejector clips are provided in the first place....to eject the board. Once they are removed it will be difficult to take out a DIMM so be careful.

Unless you'll be subjecting it to fairly high vibration environment it's not likely to work free in use. As a note, on my board once the DIMM is installed the clip is actually fairly loose and can be left totally disengaged from the little slot in the side that would be the only way to hold it in. That makes it extremely unreliable as a retainer.

Solution