RAM running at wrong speed and confused with timings table in SPD profile

Sep 5, 2018
Hi,

I've got Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB RAM @ 3000 MHz. Yes it's compatible with my motherboard and yes I have all the motherboard drivers up to date. Here is a screenshot of the SPD profile in CPU-Z: https://imgur.com/a/cxoyM7W

Here is the memory tab: https://imgur.com/a/f2FM3My

It clearly shows an XMP profile with 3000 MHz and the correct timings, but JEDEC 6, 7 and 8 seem to be wrong and as you can see it's running at 2133 MHz. I got an ASUS Motherboard, so I set D.O.C.P profiles for my RAM which were already there, but it doesn't even seem like it's been applied.

Thank you guys!

Sep 5, 2018

Every single tab and every single application which shows such information shows 2133 MHz, in this instance 1067 MHz. It is the wrong speed I assure you.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
When you plop in new ram you need to load up Bios / UEFI and set the correct profile and then make sure as it SHOULD (at least all the motherboards I have change the setting in) should show you what it will run at....

Sometimes just to be sure what I do is set the correct setting in bios.. then save and reboot. then go right back into bios / uefi and check.. as with a few older boards I had (ddr3) it would set BUT not actally apply the speed.. so it would change the voltage and such.. and sometimes not.. it was a hit or miss.. (with my AM4 boards I have and a threadripper system and it was all great no issues) but with the older one I had to then go back into bios and select the correct speed. like 3000Mhz and sometimes the voltage as well.. but normally it changed it to the correct voltage for me too.. more recently I have my Ryzen system running 3200Mhz ram at 3400Mhz CL 14 without any issues with only a little more ram voltage I set manually. it was 1.35V but it was not fully stable at 3400Mhz so I bumped it up to 1.355V and its been great.. (at 3333Mhz it didn't need any changes to the voltage)

I would suggest you check your bios / UEFI and make sure its set to the correct voltage, speed, and timings... YOU may have an issue like I have seen on some older computers I have worked with (and newer) that the system will just NOT work at the rated speed at stock voltages.. not sure if its a board or ram thing.. but like it will restart then not work so it auto changes the speed back to a slower speed then boots.. (normally you would notice the issue though as it takes longer to boot).. just go into bios and manually set the speed up a bit more each time.. then check if it boots with the speed you set.. then if it works up to like lets say 2800 but will not go higher and defaults back to the slower.. try upping the voltage just a little. (I would not up it much though so like that one is also 1.35volts.. some boards will show you what its actually getting and it may be lower then expected.. (I know I have had more then a few like that with DDR3 and older systems showing like it needs 1.5 volts but the board was outputting 1.45 to 1.47 and it was not stable enough to work all the time) so I would just boost the power by like a .005 and sometimes .01 volts and I would be good to go.

Hope this helps.. and then just remember in CPU-Z the ram will show as HALF the speed.. so if you are set in bios to get 2600Mhz you will see on the memory tab (if I remember correctly) only 1300Mhz or about.. and some place it normally states something like dual data rate or something like that..

Good luck!

OH just thought about ONE other thing.. What CPU and board do you actually have. I have read before that some intel chips and boards will NOT let you go any faster then what the CPU will allow.. so like you get stuck no matter what ram you have at the max speed the CPU will allow unless you OC the cpu as well. Here is one post I remembered about http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3350468/3000mhz-ram-2400mhz.html

so you get stuck no matter what ram you purchase to the max the CPU will run at.

Sep 5, 2018

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try setting some settings myself.
Just as a reference, I'm not that much of a rookie, so I have checked compatibility and such.

I'll update this post when I can, thank you

Sep 5, 2018

Alright, I'll try and manually set my settings. I've already done the timings, but I'll do the command rate and the dram voltage is already at 1.35V. Not sure what a command rate is, but hopefully that'll be the thing I'm missing. I'll try it out later.

Thanks!