Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2020
I have an ROG Zephyrus M GU502GV Gaming Laptop that has 16gb ram 2666mhz soldered onto the motherboard. So I bought another HyperX 16gb 2666mhz for upgrade so that it would run in dual channel mode to take advantage of my RTX GPU because there was only 1 slot available for the RAM.

After installation, I noticed that the ram speed is only running at 2400mhz despite the fact that both RAMs(the one soldered onto the motherboard and the HyperX) are 2666mhz. That being said, I removed the RAM Module to see if the existing RAM on my laptop is running at 2400mhz but it turned out that the existing RAM is running at 2666mhz. So I installed the HyperX and went back to 2400mhz once again. I researched and researched regarding this issue and I saw that XMP should be enabled in BIOS but there's no XMP or any memory related in the BIOS of my laptop.

I hope someone can explain or help me with this problem. I would really appreciate it! Thank you.

Solution
If the two banks of RAM are not fully compatible the system is likely going to downclock until things work. The only way to guarantee that everything works is to use factory matched sets. In this case that will be impossible as one stick is permanently soldered in place. You may well have to live with what you have.
Jun 8, 2020
It's entirely possible that the board cannot run at 2400 with both slots populated. Or, the module you purchased is not fully compatible with the memory on the motherboard. Have you consulted the laptop manual or contacted the manufacturer to check?

Yes I have and its up to 32gb 2666mhz. Even so, why did the RAM downclocked when none of the them iare running at 2400mhz?

If the two banks of RAM are not fully compatible the system is likely going to downclock until things work. The only way to guarantee that everything works is to use factory matched sets. In this case that will be impossible as one stick is permanently soldered in place. You may well have to live with what you have.

Reactions: jstnvlnca
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have an ROG Zephyrus M GU502GV Gaming Laptop that has 16gb ram 2666mhz soldered onto the motherboard. So I bought another HyperX 16gb 2666mhz for upgrade so that it would run in dual channel mode to take advantage of my RTX GPU because there was only 1 slot available for the RAM.

After installation, I noticed that the ram speed is only running at 2400mhz despite the fact that both RAMs(the one soldered onto the motherboard and the HyperX) are 2666mhz. That being said, I removed the RAM Module to see if the existing RAM on my laptop is running at 2400mhz but it turned out that the existing RAM is running at 2666mhz. So I installed the HyperX and went back to 2400mhz once again. I researched and researched regarding this issue and I saw that XMP should be enabled in BIOS but there's no XMP or any memory related in the BIOS of my laptop.

I hope someone can explain or help me with this problem. I would really appreciate it! Thank you.
Does it offer DOCP that is what Asus is now calling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.