DaBomb22

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
A few months ago I custom built a PC and had 1gig of RAM (2x512) put in. Everything worked fine for a while, but after a day or so while using it as normal, the screen blacked out and the computer restarted, but couldnt boot to windows, it restarted over and over once it saw the windows loading bar. I took out one of the sticks of RAM and it worked fine (but a little slower with only 512mb). No matter what order i put the RAM sticks in, only one would work, the other had 'died'. I thought it was just an unlucky day, so i bought another 3 sticks of 512mb to come to a total of 2gig. Worked fine until that afternoon, screen blacked out, RAM in same slot had died. So i though maybe that slot was dodgy, and left the last 1.5gig in. Next day, would not boot up same as usual, and find another RAM had 'died'. They are detected fine in BIOS and even work fine in my brothers computer, but they wont boot windows at all. Computer details are:

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition Motherboard
AMD 64 x2 4600+ CPU
Radeon X1950XTX Graphics Card
Legend 512MB DDR2 533 RAM

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
A few months ago I custom built a PC and had 1gig of RAM (2x512) put in. Everything worked fine for a while, but after a day or so while using it as normal, the screen blacked out and the computer restarted, but couldnt boot to windows, it restarted over and over once it saw the windows loading bar. I took out one of the sticks of RAM and it worked fine (but a little slower with only 512mb). No matter what order i put the RAM sticks in, only one would work, the other had 'died'. I thought it was just an unlucky day, so i bought another 3 sticks of 512mb to come to a total of 2gig. Worked fine until that afternoon, screen blacked out, RAM in same slot had died. So i though maybe that slot was dodgy, and left the last 1.5gig in. Next day, would not boot up same as usual, and find another RAM had 'died'. They are detected fine in BIOS and even work fine in my brothers computer, but they wont boot windows at all. Computer details are:

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition Motherboard
AMD 64 x2 4600+ CPU
Radeon X1950XTX Graphics Card
Legend 512MB DDR2 533 RAM
What PSU are you using? If the PSU is faulty/dieing, it could be killing the RAM.

DaBomb22

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
What PSU are you using? If the PSU is faulty/dieing, it could be killing the RAM.

Im using the PSU that came with the case, 500W 20/24 pin PSU made by Omni.

Its new as of a few months ago so i wouldn't expect it to be faulty/dieing already :(

Maybe 500W is not enough for my setup? It should be from the recommended numbers that all my pieces have said, with extra. Is there any way to fix or test whether the PSU is at fault or is it more of a trial & error buy a new one and try it sort of thing?[/quote]

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well dude I would take out that psu that came with the case and replace it with a well known after market psu.Something along the lines of say Antec or Thermaltake toughpower.A generic psu can and usually does die relatively quick unless it's a name brand.I personally go for the Thermaltake toughpower line as they have added protection for overvoltage and overcurrent,not to mention the high quality of the parts used in their manufacturing.(Industrial grade capasitors and what not)

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
2X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,442

DaBomb22

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Well dude I would take out that psu that came with the case and replace it with a well known after market psu.Something along the lines of say Antec or Thermaltake toughpower.A generic psu can and usually does die relatively quick unless it's a name brand.I personally go for the Thermaltake toughpower line as they have added protection for overvoltage and overcurrent,not to mention the high quality of the parts used in their manufacturing.(Industrial grade capasitors and what not)

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
WD300GIG HD
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,442

Thanks for the advice, but how much would said PSU cost? And is 500W enough or would that not have been an issue, just the quality of the PSU?

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Wattage does play a part in psu selection,but you also really need to take a close look at quality.The more you pay,generally the higher or better the quality.You need say a 600watt psu with 20-30amps on the 12volt rail.I like the Thermaltake toughpower series because it has 4 12volt rails.2@18amps per rail and 2@30amps per rail.Which when all is said and done,is more than enough power.Go with quality.It's a rare thing indeed to find cheap and quality in the same sentence.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
WD300GIG HD
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,442

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
My friend,my system to date has cost me just over 2400 dollars canadian.And worth every penny.Computers are just like cars in the sense they will always cost you money,even if you are not upgrading regularily,you still have to pay the hydro bill just to use it.Let alone internet connections and what have you.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
WD300GIG HD
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,442

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Im using the PSU that came with the case, 500W 20/24 pin PSU made by Omni.

Its new as of a few months ago so i wouldn't expect it to be faulty/dieing already :(

Maybe 500W is not enough for my setup? It should be from the recommended numbers that all my pieces have said, with extra. Is there any way to fix or test whether the PSU is at fault or is it more of a trial & error buy a new one and try it sort of thing?500w(quality watts) will likely do, but with el-cheapo PSU's, not likely. I Googled your PSU, and many, many people are having problems with them. One guy says his and his sisters died after only 4 months. 8O

Though expensive...this PSU is getting great reviews and accolades. GL :)

DaBomb22

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
My friend,my system to date has cost me just over 2400 dollars canadian.And worth every penny.Computers are just like cars in the sense they will always cost you money,even if you are not upgrading regularily,you still have to pay the hydro bill just to use it.Let alone internet connections and what have you.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
WD300GIG HD
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,442

Have to agree with you there... just wish mine was good like it was with 2gigs of RAM... :(

I agree about the PS. You're running a power-hungry graphics card, so make sure your PS has at least 18A on each of +12V1 and +12V2.

Woot, power hungry! :p I'm not that great with PSU's but i understand a little, but what is the +12V rail's i think they are called and why are they so important?

500w(quality watts) will likely do, but with el-cheapo PSU's, not likely. I Googled your PSU, and many, many people are having problems with them. One guy says his and his sisters died after only 4 months.

Though expensive...this PSU is getting great reviews and accolades. GL

Bit of a shame my PSU was a dodgy one... :( guess i learnt my lesson at least :( Thanks for the link, ill look into it and others similar :)

On a final note, would anyone know if the RAM will work again with a new PSU? I tried putting a different RAM stick that had been 'killed' so to speak by my PSU into my brothers computer, and this time it would not boot exactly the same as if it were in mine. Maybe I messed up with organising (4 identical sticks of RAM lying near each other a few dead a few alive... 8O ) but it would be great if i can expect to have them all working again with a new PSU.

Thanks again everyone for helping out with this one! :D :D

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
On a final note, would anyone know if the RAM will work again with a new PSU? I tried putting a different RAM stick that had been 'killed' so to speak by my PSU into my brothers computer, and this time it would not boot exactly the same as if it were in mine. Maybe I messed up with organising (4 identical sticks of RAM lying near each other a few dead a few alive... 8O ) but it would be great if i can expect to have them all working again with a new PSU.

Yeah, unfortunately I've heard the 'crap PSU' with case story too many times. For your RAM, you never know. I hope for your sake that they'll work. I'd just pop it in by itself and find out. Or you can try running memtest on the dead ones and see what comes out of that.
If your PSU is still under warranty (if it had one), I'd call them up and see if they could reimburse you w/ a new PSU (which you would immediately ebay) or maybe they'll give you something for compensation... shrug. Never know.