Question Ram settings suddently stopped working on MSI Z370-A Pro

HAWGT

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
I've had issues with this board before when initially setting up my ram to run at its rated speed of 3000 (I have 2x16 G.Skill Aegis 3000MHZ CL16) which was a big pain because of all the overclock failed messages.

Yesterday, I decided to go into M-FLASH to see if I had the latest Bios version, I leave it and I'm welcomed with the overclock failed.

I've attempted different voltages but it just refuses to boot at 3000 on both 1.35 and 1.4 and every value in between with the proper timings of 16-18-18-38, funnily enough 3200 CL16 worked with those timings and 1.4v, however I was getting the odd crash on Fortnite, I tried 3066 CL16 1.35v, also didn't work, my Bios is on the latest version available.

So I decided to run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, got an error at ~12%, so I dropped it (3200 CL16 1.4v).

2666 with CL13 1.35v using "Game Try it!" seems to be working and without errors, I have a 9700K with a RTX 2080, and using the formula of 2000 * CL / MHZ, it has better latency.

Now my question besides a possible solution is, should I just run it at 2666 CL13 (if no more crashes occur) because of seemingly better latency or possibly downgrade-upgrade my bios to try 3000 CL16 again?

I just want the best performance that I can get.

My motherboard also has an issue that sometimes it doesn't fully power off the PC, but of that, I have the control over by unplugging the power cable.

Last edited:
decided to run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, got an error at ~12%
this either means that your RAM is malfunctioning or that your motherboard doesn't fully support this kit.
you can check the motherboard manufacturer product support pages for all known kits this board will fully except.
motherboard also has an issue that sometimes it doesn't fully power off the PC, but of that, I have the control over by unplugging the power cable.
this is a dangerous option to continually use.
you may end up damaging connected components by hard shutting down in this manner.

Reactions: HAWGT

HAWGT

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
this either means that your RAM is malfunctioning or that your motherboard doesn't fully support this kit.
you can check the motherboard manufacturer product support pages for all known kits this board will fully except.

this is a dangerous option to continually use.
you may end up damaging connected components by hard shutting down in this manner.

My motherboard supports the kit so it could be the ram, but it worked fine before and in my previous motherboard with the very rare beep before booting, again it always booted regardless (system was stable, no crashes).
I usually just hold down the button to shut it down, the cable is it if only decides to turn on by itself, this motherboard was supposedly new this summer, my Z390-A Pro stopped working so I had no choice but to get it.
I literally can't do anything about the power issue as far as I know, I'll just have to get a new PC eventually.

As for the speed in my case with the best performance in mind: 2666 CL13 or 3000 CL16? (Assuming I can get it again)

Last edited:
As for the speed in my case: 2666 CL13 or 3000 CL16?
if you cannot pass a MEMTEST run then just forget it.

if lowering speed or timing allows a successful pass then you're good.
I'll just have to get a new PC eventually
that's not necessarily true.

if a better board allows your current components to run together then you know the motherboard just didn't support your configuration.

also if a different RAM kit stops these issues then you know the RAM was faulty/had malfunctioned/or wasn't supported.

HAWGT

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
The problem with the motherboard is that it's discontinued, I need all the pcie ports that I'm using, there are cheaper boards for this chipset but those aren't an option since they lack pcie ports and other stuff.
Getting a new PC eventually is because I was planning on upgrading anyways, I'm not buying components to just test, that is just money that I can use for a better PC.

I'll try the MEMTEST and post back.

a new PC eventually is because I was planning on upgrading anyways, I'm not buying components to just test, that is just money that I can use for a better PC
post what you plan on upgrading and what you plan on using the new build for exactly(specific games with resolution & in-game settings, application workloads, etc) and you should get some good recommended options for the future build...

HAWGT

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
I've done the MEMTEST and it passed at 2666 CL13 1.35v.
It could be both things at fault, but it doesn't make any sense because it can't boot at 3000, but it can at 3200 with the same timings and 1.4v.
It just has to be a buggy BIOS, the website states it as beta for more than a year and even before I upgraded the BIOS it had issues, but eventually worked for the current version.

I plan on getting a new PC entirely next year or the year after that and keep this one as secondary, it's not too far ahead, but tech wise it kinda is.
I want to play at 1080p with the highest FPS possible (I have a 360hz monitor), I play CSGO, Fortnite and whatever recent games come out if I like them (usually single player or the odd multiplayer).
I also use it for work like coding, game development; reverse engineering, editing videos/rendering on blender when I feel like it; run servers for games.

Now please, it is driving me crazy, with the best performance in mind, and if everything worked correctly, my CPU being Intel 9th gen, what is the best ram speed/timings: 2666-13-15-15-34 or 3000 16-18-18-38? (I can't benchmark it anymore obviously)

Last edited:
I've done the MEMTEST and it passed at 2666 CL13 1.35v.
It could be both things at fault, but it doesn't make any sense because it can't boot at 3000, but it can at 3200 with the same timings and 1.4v.
It just has to be a buggy BIOS, the website states it as beta for more than a year and even before I upgraded the BIOS it had issues, but eventually worked for the current version.

I plan on getting a new PC entirely next year or the year after that and keep this one as secondary, it's not too far ahead, but tech wise it kinda is.
I want to play at 1080p with the highest FPS possible (I have a 360hz monitor), I play CSGO, Fortnite and whatever recent games come out if I like them (usually single player or the odd multiplayer).
I also use it for work like coding, game development; reverse engineering, editing videos/rendering on blender when I feel like it; run servers for games.

Now please, it is driving me crazy, with the best performance in mind, and if everything worked correctly, my CPU being Intel 9th gen, what is the best ram speed/timings: 2666-13-15-15-34 or 3000 16-18-18-38? (I can't benchmark it anymore obviously)
If the ram works at 2666 run it.

I doubt there is much of a perf diff going to 3000 with higher timings.