[SOLVED] RAM - Should I upgrade current or buy new?

GingaMilla

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
Evening all!

I am looking to either upgrading my current set of RAM from 16gb - 32gb, or buying updated sticks which will be going up to 32gb also. Currently using Corsair Vengeance, 2x 8gb, 3000Hhz(CMK16GX4M2D3000C16). Is this model old/outdated?

The reasons for upgrading;

Plan to stream & game on the PC.
Tend to multi-task a lot with a number of applications open at one time.

I've found some things feel slow & process a while. For example if I was to play a game called Football Manager which is RAM/CPU heavy, watch a live stream at the same time while playing videos/music on Youtube at the same time(2 monitor set up). My GPU is a EVGA 1070 FTW & CPU is an Intel i7 8700k.

I've got no issues in having to upgrade to new RAM sticks but at the same time I don't want to just throw money at it unless it will really make a difference.

Thanks!

Solution
Generally it is easier on the memory controller, and for potential compatibility issues, to just get a new 2x16gb kit. You can always sell your current set, to make up the cost. For the $$$ if you have a Z series chipset motherboard, DDR4 3200 is the sweet spot, price/performance, for Intel.

logainofhades

Titan
Generally it is easier on the memory controller, and for potential compatibility issues, to just get a new 2x16gb kit. You can always sell your current set, to make up the cost. For the $$$ if you have a Z series chipset motherboard, DDR4 3200 is the sweet spot, price/performance, for Intel.

Reactions: GingaMilla
Solution

GingaMilla

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014

found these 3 if any are good enough?