Question ram showing two different timings from the bios and windows 10

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
my ddr4 corsair vengeance rgb pro 3000 MHz ram is rated at cas latency 15 and that's what the bios reads, but all programs within windows reads cas latency 16, programs like cpu-z, aida 64, hwinfo, and ryzen master. very weird, need help.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
From what I've read that is caused by Ryzen CPUs only liking even CAS timings (C14, C16, C18).
I've seen quite a few other posts about this same issue and no one got the RAM to actually run at CAS 15 on a Ryzen system that I am aware of.
Honestly it won't make much if any real world difference anyways.

I would try and see if that RAM will run at 3200 MHz at C16.
You can use Thaiphoon Burner to get your RAM specs then use the DRAM Calculator to get the settings needed to OC it if is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: packersfan036

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
From what I've read that is caused by Ryzen CPUs only liking even CAS timings (C14, C16, C18).
I've seen quite a few other posts about this same issue and no one got the RAM to actually run at CAS 15 on a Ryzen system that I am aware of.
Honestly it won't make much if any real world difference anyways.

I would try and see if that RAM will run at 3200 MHz at C16.
You can use Thaiphoon Burner to get your RAM specs then use the DRAM Calculator to get the settings needed to OC it if is possible.
ya, I got the ram overclocked at c16 3200 mhz. stable.

Reactions: DMAN999

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Hynix m-die based Kingston 3000 was working fine with 1600x and 1700x on my x370 based Asus MB. Although not able to get more than 2933 MHz out of it I did manage CL12 with it giving it same performance as if it was at (not very stable ) 3200MHz.
ya, i think ill keep it at 3200 mhz. thats a good enough bump from 3000 mhz for me, or maybe ill try for 3400 mhz, but thats as far as ill go.

ya, i think ill keep it at 3200 mhz. thats a good enough bump from 3000 mhz for me, or maybe ill try for 3400 mhz, but thats as far as ill go.
Ryzen is happy with 3200MHz and low Cl, when I benchmarked my Ryzens (had 1600x and 1700x too) 3600MHz benchmarks like CB r15, r20 and Performance Test show only about 2% better scores than with RAM at 3200MHz. As that's only synthetic measure, in real work it must be much less.

Reactions: packersfan036

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Doesn't make any difference what ram is used.
Ram is made by OEMs from sheets of silicon it buys from other sources. That means any given sheet has differing impurities. Those impurities are higher concentrated on the outsides of the sheet, put there when the sheet is spun. Those impurities don't much affect the 5 primary timings, but can and do affect the 40+ secondary and tertiary timings you rarely see.
Then those IC chips are stuck on a pcb, and a branded heatsink is applied from any vendor ordering that specific ram/kit. The chances of you getting the same IC's from the same batch of silicon, from the same area of the sheet and not in the same blister pack are exponentially small. You'd have just as much chance of getting Corsair lpx stable with Kingston ram, as getting gskill stable with adata. Or Kingston + Kingston or Corsair lpx and Corsair lpx.

The only thing that increases chances of stability, compliance and compatability is running similar speeds, similar voltages and similar timings, vendor doesn't matter at all. And even then that's no guarantee. I've had the exact same ram, identical in every way, except the serial number was 9 numbers different, literally like 2345 and 2354 and was sent to me personally by Corsair, and would not play together no matter what voltage, speed or timing settings. 2 different batches with non-compliant impurities.

TRENDING THREADS