[SOLVED] RAM shows 4GB reserved out of 8GB installed ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 9, 2021
hello everyone i have pc
mobo= gigabyte g41mt-s2pt rev1.1
8gb ram ddr3 1333mhz (2 sticks gb)
intel core duo e7400 2.80ghz
500gb hdd
GT 710 2GB gpu
now the problem is.... even in cpuz it says i have 4 ram slots but mobo have only 2, then each ram stick reads only 2gb each, and sends half to hardware reserved
cpuz shows same. i tried page filing and other diys but nothing helpful and funny thing... my memory dont have xmp profile so... idk what to do

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Hmm, have you pushed the sticks all the way in? Usually it is that for me. They should click into place and you should be able to close the plastic thing at the end(s) of the RAM slots. I would try reseating the sticks. Take out, push them in again. If it still doesn't work, I would try different slots with 1 stick, to see if not the motherboard has issues. If the stick is recognized in every slot, it's something else. Boot into BIOS to check that.

Apr 9, 2021
Hmm, have you pushed the sticks all the way in? Usually it is that for me. They should click into place and you should be able to close the plastic thing at the end(s) of the RAM slots. I would try reseating the sticks. Take out, push them in again. If it still doesn't work, I would try different slots with 1 stick, to see if not the motherboard has issues. If the stick is recognized in every slot, it's something else. Boot into BIOS to check that.
boss, i tried it alot of time , it have 2 dimm slots but somehow.. when i check in cpuz it says 4 slots and since both of them are numbered as 1 and 2 i came up with theory (not sure about it tho) that in cpuz it says its not even running as dual channel , furthermore in cpuz they show no xmp profiles which means i dont event have that option, tried Msconfig boot option didnt work, tried page file bullcrap and it messed my pc xd had to reinstall windows, and i also did memory diagnosis (windows program) it says no errors or something like that no error found , thats why i came to forum cause even here i searched but no one have same motherboard as mine, and i never understand why it says 4 slots when it have 2 and about bios, i tried to install the latest bios but it gave warning that if the name does not matches ur mobo name ur pc might not even boot , so scared i didnt download it XD

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If Windows shows all 8GB of memory (4GB usable and 4GB reserved), flashing/re-flashing the BIOS to the most recent version for the motherboard will often resolve this issue. Have you tried doing this?

If the name doesn't match (BIOS warning), you have the wrong BIOS for your motherboard.

Apr 9, 2021
If Windows shows all 8GB of memory (4GB usable and 4GB reserved), flashing/re-flashing the BIOS to the most recent version for the motherboard will often resolve this issue. Have you tried doing this?

If the name doesn't match (BIOS warning), you have the wrong BIOS for your motherboard.
wait wah , yes windows shows 8gb ram (4gb useable) or in task manager 4gb hardware reserved , but im confused with few things.... ill attach the picture can u guide me if its the one or not? View: https://imgur.com/a/b1ZoVLm

Apr 9, 2021
i just realised... i have cpu intel e7400 and its max mhz is 1066...and thats the max it shows on bios too... (btw i flashed bios) still same results, time to change cpu? :C

bignastyid

Titan
Solution
Apr 9, 2021
This is usually an indicator of high density ram, which does not work properly with those old Intel chipsets. Usually is just doesn't work but when it does the system can't address all of the ram. This is why they advertise it as for AMD only.
so what do u suggest? should i get amd processor and motherboard? or stick with intel?