Dec 31, 2007
Ok. I never seen this issue before. First, specs:

12900k i9
ASUS 3070 Turbo
128GB DDR4 RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz
ASUS Z790M D4 Plus MoBo
3 Samsung nvme drives
850w power supply

So originally the computer was a stock Asus g10ce with the 11700f and 3070 Turbo. Did an upgrade to the specs above. RAM shown as 128gb @ 3200mhz. 32gb per channel, 4 channels. New board, new CPU and no matter what I change in bios, no matter what operating system, xmp, manual, disabled, nothing. I've tried to reseat all the RAM, swap the sticks around in the slots, install one at a time, reseat the CPU... Nothing shows more than 16gb per stick. Again, I know they are in fact the correct RAM size and speed as they worked on my old board. BIOS was also updated. I'm at a loss fellas. Any ideas? Please help... 😓

533y4

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can't upload an image or link one apparently. CPUz lists timings as accurate, just not the GB.

CMW32GX4M2E3200C16 is the model number. All 4 are the same. Next line says "DDR4 32GB(2X16) 3200mhz 16-20-20-38 1.35V very 4.49". They're double sided RAM. I've tried one stick, two sticks and all four sticks. It's like the computer can only read one side of the stick. Starting to think the new Mobo might be bad.

I'm going to try a single sided 4am stick and see if it can see the full capacity. I have a 1x16gb laying around... Tho, this Mobo is supposed to be compatible with double sided ddr 4 up to 128gb.

One more thing I did notice this morning when reseating the CPU... It looked like there was a couple of bent pins. I did my best to reset them correctly, but didn't change anything.

Colif

Win 11 Master
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW32GX4M2E3200C16
CM = Corsair
W = Vengeance RGB Pro
number = Kit size. 32G = 32gb set
X4 = DDR4
M2 = Dual channel kit (2 sticks)
E = modifier (version code)
3200 = Speed
C16 = Latency
as per link
that is a set of 2 x 16gb sticks. If you have 4 the same, you have 2 sets of ram.
64gb of ram. Not 128gb.

I have similar ram
zhWnLpb.jpg

64gb set would have code like - CMW64GX4M2E3200C16
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW64GX4M2E3200C16
If it were a set of 128gb its model number would be CMH128GX4M4E3200C16
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ...geance-RGB-PRO-SL-Black/p/CMH128GX4M4E3200C16

You not first person to think they have more ram than they do :)

Previous board could only use 64gb of ram
4x DDR4 U-DIMM slot
16GB DDR4 U-DIMM x 2
Memory max up to: 64GB

I helped one person who had 8 sticks of ram in PC but thought he had double the amount as well. Ram naming can make you think you have more than you do.

Last edited:

533y4

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Except as I said, I already had them in my old motherboard. They ARE 128gb. Old motherboard seen all 128gb. You have the wrong link. I even put them in my old board to be 100% sure and it still posts at 128gb... So no, they aren't 64GB. I can CONFIRM they are in fact 128GB. They are 16GB per SIDE of RAM, double sided for a total of 32GB per stick. They even say 32gb on the sticker. 🤦‍♂️ So being they are in fact 128GB, I think we can eliminate the wrong RAM at this point. As I said, I seen a few bent pins on the board while reseating the CPU. I can almost guarantee they were they when I bought the board. So I'm RMAing the board and seeing if a new one helps. I'll keep this updated tho if anything changes between now and the 27th.

Last edited:

533y4

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Bent pins can absolutely impact RAM detection.

Why hasn't this been fixed?
I only noticed them yesterday while tearing down and rebuilding. Didn't even notice it when I was building it. But then again, I'd assume a brand new board wouldn't have bent pins out the box, so I didn't bother to check. 🤦‍♂️ It's the first time I ever had a board with bent pins. I got it RMAd with a new one on the way already. Unfortunately, I always assumed of it booted, the pins couldn't be bent or it wouldn't turn on (I know... That's a very old way of think, I realize that now). Plus, I've never dealt with bent pins so I had zero idea of the symptoms. There's always a first I suppose...

bignastyid

Titan
Except as I said, I already had them in my old motherboard. They ARE 128gb. Old motherboard seen all 128gb. You have the wrong link. I even put them in my old board to be 100% sure and it still posts at 128gb... So no, they aren't 64GB. I can CONFIRM they are in fact 128GB. They are 16GB per SIDE of RAM, double sided for a total of 32GB per stick. They even say 32gb on the sticker. 🤦‍♂️ So being they are in fact 128GB, I think we can eliminate the wrong RAM at this point. As I said, I seen a few bent pins on the board while reseating the CPU. I can almost guarantee they were they when I bought the board. So I'm RMAing the board and seeing if a new one helps. I'll keep this updated tho if anything changes between now and the 27th.
Then you need to double check the ram information you posted, because(as Colif pointed out) the ram info you posted is for a 32Gb kit made up of 2 16GB dimms, that's what 32GB (2x16GB) on the label means.
If you had a kit that that was made up of 32GB dimms then it would be labeled as 64GB (2x32GB).

533y4

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Then you need to double check the ram information you posted, because(as Colif pointed out) the ram info you posted is for a 32Gb kit made up of 2 16GB dimms, that's what 32GB (2x16GB) on the label means.
If you had a kit that that was made up of 32GB dimms then it would be labeled as 64GB (2x32GB).

I bought two 64gb kits at the same time. Regardless, they report 128GB in a good motherboard. The sizing is DEFINITELY NOT the question here. I even tried it in a third computer earlier today... Reports 128GB. So size is deff not the issue here... one out of 3 motherboards say 64GB. Two known good motherboards say 128GB @3200mhz. They report correctly in known working motherboards. I think we can most certainly drop the issue of what size they are now.

Unfortunately, I think the fact that I got bent pins is the issue here. Built over 100 computers and never once had bent pins. Crazyness... It happens I guess.

Colif

Win 11 Master
They are 16GB per SIDE of RAM, double sided for a total of 32GB per stick. They even say 32gb on the sticker.
no, they are dual rank. 8gb per side.
CMW32GX4M2E3200C16
32g on stick shows it as part of a 32gb set.

So its a set of 2 sticks that add up to 32gb, not 1 stick

If it was 1 stick it would look like
CMK32GX4M1D3000C16
M1 - 1 stick
M2 - 2 sticks
M4 - 4 Sticks
M8 - 8 sticks

The codes you gave me told me that. I just decyphered them.
Your old Asus only accepted 64gb max so I don't know how you could have used 128gb in it.
If it was reporting 128 it was wrong.

Colif

Win 11 Master
CMW32GX4M2E3200C16 is the model number.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW32GX4M2E3200C16
CM = Corsair
W = Vengeance RGB Pro
number = Kit size. 32G = 32gb set
X4 = DDR4
E = modifier (version code)
3200 = Speed
C16 = Latency
as per link

i think the one you looking at is my set?
i just showed is as an example of a 32gb set of 2 sticks that are dual rank.

If it was a set of 64gb or more, it would have 64G in the description of the stick. They don't sell a "set" of 1 stick of ram. They do sell individual sticks but the codes show them to be M1.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
i think the one you looking at is my set?
i just showed is as an example of a 32gb set of 2 sticks that are dual rank.

If it was a set of 64gb or more, it would have 64G in the description of the stick. They don't sell a "set" of 1 stick of ram. They do sell individual sticks but the codes show them to be M1.

Ah, since it was just a letter off from the one the poster had -- E for Z -- I thought you were trying to link the exact one.

In any case, the results are the same in that there has been no reason yet, outside of the OP's insistence, to think that there's a problem here!