[SOLVED] ram slot issues

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
hi

ive gone back to using my ryzen system.
r3 3200g
16gb ram 3200mhz (2x8gb running at 2933mhz)
1050 ti 4gb graphics card..
motherboard is "Asrock b450m pro4-f"

the issue i have is that i cant use dual channel memory.. the computer will boot with 1 stick in A1, and also boot with memory in A1+A2 (together), but if i put memory in to A1+B1 no post.(just constant reboot,like its testing). and if i put memory into A2 and B2, no post(like with a1+b1). i have swapped out ram for ddr4 2400mhz strips and i get same issue.. and today i got to install another cpu ryzen 5 5600g, (by friend bought around to test(as i was going to buy it),and still the same issue. so i know its not the CPU. (both sets of my ram worked in A1+A2 configuation, on this board, and my intel 11th gen setup).

before the r3 3200g cpu(only installed since december 2021), it had had a r7 2700x cpu (june 2021).and then it was running dual channel in A2+B2..

and help would be appreciated, im looking into getting another motherboard if this is not fixable.. it does run fine as single channel (A1+A2).

Solution
If memory won't run in dual channel then it can only be a couple of things.

Either there is a problem with one or more DIMMs in the memory kit OR it's a memory kit that isn't specifically compatible with the motherboard

Or, there are bent pins on the CPU (AMD) or motherboard (Intel), OR the CPU cooler isn't properly installed and one are is either looser or tighter than the other mounting points causing the CPU to "cock" in the socket, which can break the contact of one or more pins causing it to act like a memory problem.

Or, a faulty motherboard.

That's pretty much it.

It is always worthwhile to be CERTAIN that you are not misreading the motherboard manual in relation to the locations of the DIMM slots. For two DIMMs you should...

Either there is a problem with one or more DIMMs in the memory kit OR it's a memory kit that isn't specifically compatible with the motherboard

Or, there are bent pins on the CPU (AMD) or motherboard (Intel), OR the CPU cooler isn't properly installed and one are is either looser or tighter than the other mounting points causing the CPU to "cock" in the socket, which can break the contact of one or more pins causing it to act like a memory problem.

That's pretty much it.

It is always worthwhile to be CERTAIN that you are not misreading the motherboard manual in relation to the locations of the DIMM slots. For two DIMMs you should be installing them in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket, with the fourth slot being the one closest to the edge of the motherboard. If they are installed in those slots and will not work correctly then there is absolutely a hardware issue of some kind and it is one of the aforementioned problems in most cases.

Since the board worked fine in dual channel prior to installing the newer Ryzen models it would be a really good idea to make sure that you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed before you do anything else because if you have an early version installed it could have any number of issues including not working at all.

Solution

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020

That's pretty much it.

It is always worthwhile to be CERTAIN that you are not misreading the motherboard manual in relation to the locations of the DIMM slots. For two DIMMs you should be installing them in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket, with the fourth slot being the one closest to the edge of the motherboard. If they are installed in those slots and will not work correctly then there is absolutely a hardware issue of some kind and it is one of the aforementioned problems in most cases.

Since the board worked fine in dual channel prior to installing the newer Ryzen models it would be a really good idea to make sure that you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed before you do anything else because if you have an early version installed it could have any number of issues including not working at all.

the ram is compatible with the board(my ddr4 3200, and my ddr4 2400), i tried both sets on the ryzen board, with same issue., but both sets worked perfectly on my Intel setup, and the previous ryzen setup. so the ram sticks are not the issue(also did "memtest86" on all 4 sticks in slot A1(dimm 1). and all passed "No Errors". i am using a "spire" cooler at the moment(i have my aio ,but i have not changed the bracket back from Intel, to AMD, so was using the cooler . i got the same issue with my R3 3200g, and my friends R5 5600g(if it worked i was going to buy it).

normally memory should be in A2+B2(dimm 2 and 4),but this gives blank screen, same if i swap to A1+B1(dimm 1 and 3), but if the memory sticks are in A1+ A2(dimm 1 and 2) all is fine.

the cpu is ok, no bent pins, no missing pins. their is a new bios available, which it says "not recommended update" for my family of cpu(picasso),but it would be ok,for "cezanne"(5600g)which im upgrading to.. someone did say to pull board battery out and reset cmos. and then try again and wait 5 minutes of it keep reboot testing and see if it work( normally when changing memory and resseting cmos. it takes 2 reboot tests to post ,

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
Set DRAM voltage to 1.35V.

i will go into bios and check.. but when i use the ddr4 2400nhz , i use XMP2.0 which auto sets it to 1.35v.

but with the ddr4 3200, i set it manually to run at 2933(which is what ryzen 3 3200g is specified max is. i left the voltage on auto(assume it would jump to 1.35v)as pc runs stable,.

im using ddr4 3200mhz ram now (klevv gaming ram) and using slot 1+2(a1+a2), 8gb in each slot.

. if i put memory into any of the b channel (dimm 3 or 4), the computer does not boot to window, or post into bios. just black screen. and pc restarting(like when it does memory check.

If i put memory into any of the b channel (dimm 3 or 4), the computer does not boot to window, or post into bios. just black screen. and pc restarting(like when it does memory check.
Are you saying that if you put a memory module into the A2 slot, which is the second DIMM slot over from the CPU socket, and then another one in the B2 slot, which is the fourth one over from the CPU socket, that it is just a black screen?

And that it does this no matter whether you use the lower speed kit or the faster kit?

And that every single one of those DIMMs works as intended if only installed, a single stick, in the A2 slot?

If that's the case then you almost certainly have a problem with the motherboard since you've tried multiple CPUs.

And for the record, by "compatible" I don't mean that it's the right "type" of memory, as in DDR4, I mean COMPATIBLE, as in, it has been TESTED to be compatible with that motherboard and is either on the manufacturer's compatibility list for that board or the motherboard QVL list. Memory that is not tested and validated as compatible might work, might work partially or might not work at all. Or might work, but only after significant manual configuration of the memory in the BIOS.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
Are you saying that if you put a memory module into the A2 slot, which is the second DIMM slot over from the CPU socket, and then another one in the B2 slot, which is the fourth one over from the CPU socket, that it is just a black screen?

And that it does this no matter whether you use the lower speed kit or the faster kit?

And that every single one of those DIMMs works as intended if only installed, a single stick, in the A2 slot?

If that's the case then you almost certainly have a problem with the motherboard since you've tried multiple CPUs.

And for the record, by "compatible" I don't mean that it's the right "type" of memory, as in DDR4, I mean COMPATIBLE, as in, it has been TESTED to be compatible with that motherboard and is either on the manufacturer's compatibility list for that board or the motherboard QVL list. Memory that is not tested and validated as compatible might work, might work partially or might not work at all. Or might work, but only after significant manual configuration of the memory in the BIOS.

i have to have dimm 1(A1) with a memory module in it, or it wort boot, i can add a memory module to dimm 2 (a2) and it will boot with those 2 filled. but as soon as i try the memory(ddr4 2400,4gb or 8gb module, or either of t he 2 8gb ddr4 3200,) into "B1 or B2" nothing,

these configurations work....
A1 = with 4gb or 8 gb ddr4 ram .(2400 or 3200)
A1+A2= 4gb+8gb(2400) or 8+8 (3200)
A2= nothing
A1+B1= nothing
A2+B2= nothing
B1+B2= nothing

my 4gb(2400) is Corsair vengence, my 8gb(2400) is team group VULCAN, my 2x8gb (3200) is KLEVV.. and they are all compatible, according to the ASROCK site for that board.
im gonna turn computer of , and put battery and clear cmos, and leave it for 10 minutes. and then try all configurations again. . the only other change was a bios update which was done for the 2700x (the bios did say its not recommended for cpus, with the codename for my r3 3200g, Matisse,but asrock said it was ok for the r7 2700x and that it would not damage the 3 3200g,but it was designed with updates for the 3rd gen cpus).).

i have contacted CCL Computers. who i bought it from, as it was under 2 year warranty, and i bought it in july 2020..i hope they can fix it.

ive been offered a motherboard from a friend at local computer store. he said he has not tested the motherboard, but i can puck it up friday . for FREE., its and "MSI B450 tomahawk II", its ment to be better than the ASROCK b450m.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
I can't see the problem being anything other than the CPU or motherboard, and the motherboard, by far, is the more probable of the two especially since you said you've had the same problem with multiple CPUs.

it must be the motherboard. , i a mini speaker tester,that is used to test for errors. i will search arsock for what error codes to listen out for... and then test..
i downgraded the "bios" back to "1.4", which is what it was on and working properly months ago.. but the issue is still here. i have a new 5600g on way and a possible new msi b450 tomahawk max II board...

TRENDING THREADS