RAM slot not being recognized

theEmbark

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
Hey guys,

I've got an evga Sr-2 motherboard and one slot is not being recognized by Windows. Is this slot 'dead'? Or can I troubleshoot and potentially fix this? All other slots work and I swapped the memory sticks so I know it's not the stick it's the slot.

Thanks,
Kevin

theEmbark

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
It's an older board so can't RMA it. What kind of diagnostics can be ran? If it's a voltage issue or somethings can fix I'd like to try.

Otherwise can I use a different slot for that dimm? So right now I have triple channel running in the 1,3,5 positions. Can I change it to 1,2,5?

Thanks,
Kevin

theEmbark

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

Looks like there's no way around missing that 3 slot. anyone have any ideas?

What about putting 2 older ddr3 sticks in the 3 slot? I think they are 4gbs. Then I can use the 4 slot for the 8gbs?

Will give this a try a bit later if I don't hear back first.

Thanks,
Kevin

theEmbark

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

No luck with that either. Probably would work if they were 8gb sticks. But it won't even post in that config even though they are matched.

I guess this might be over kill in the amount of RAM sticks but im guessing I could install 6 x 4gb sticks which should give me 24gb but I will only get 20gb then install 6x8gb which would give me a total of 68gb. The thing is this motherboard only supports 48gb so we'll see how it acts with the extra. Reports say they've gotten the board to 96gb but manufacture specs are 48gb.

I think I will hit a problem though after typing all this as the 4gb sticks are a different timing. I'll give it a shot I guess worst case I just run 40gbs it's just annoying more then anything haha.