Question Ram slot not working, HP OMEN Laptop 15-en0xxx. CPU-Z do show the stick but windows and the bios dont.

Mar 2, 2023
Hello, I have a HP OMEN 15-en0xxx laptop. I have 2x 8gB of ram inside of the laptop(default). Recently I noticed that I only have 8 gb available in windows. I opened up my laptop and tried replacing and swapping around the ram sticks. It appears that the second ram slot does not work. I cannot find it in the bios or using the builtin uifi-diagnostic tool.

However in windows using the the tool CPU-Z I can see the full 16gb:
cpu-z1.png

I can see the specific info of both slots.
cpu-z2.png
cpu-z3.png

taskmanager says I only have 7.4 GB and that I only use one slot. systeminfo.exe says I have 7.541 MB.
I also tried running wmic. It also doesnt see the second card: (I used code tag because it keept the indentation)
Code:
Capacity    DeviceLocator           Manufacturer  PartNumber        SerialNumber  Speed  Tag
8589934592  Bottom - Slot 1 (left)  Samsung       M471A1K43DB1-CWE  3854FF0F      3200   Physical Memory 0

Does anyone know what could be happening here? A tool running on windows can see my ram but the windows programs and the bios can't? I find this very weird.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Using CPU-Z can you see what BIOS version you're currently on for your laptop's motherboard? Might want to use your serial number and/or the model for your laptop to bring up a bespoke support page for your laptop, corss-reference the BIOS listed with the one you have.

Mar 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Using CPU-Z can you see what BIOS version you're currently on for your laptop's motherboard? Might want to use your serial number and/or the model for your laptop to bring up a bespoke support page for your laptop, corss-reference the BIOS listed with the one you have.
Thanks for the suggestion

The information is the following:
Serienummer: 5CD0403RWC
My bios is "F.16 - AMD AGESA RenoirPI-FP6 1.0.0.5" of brand "AMI"

I wasn't able to find out if the bios was compatable or not. I tried getting an update(for my specific laptop) from the hp support site but nothing changed. Then I decided to roll back my bios to the oldest bios available(in the bios recovery settings) but this changed nothing. (After changing my bios I noticed that my microsoft account was locked, so I temporarily couldn't use my laptop)

I decided to try and update my bios again and now I am back on the same version of F.16. I havent really found anything out. Time wise it would probably be best for me to to just buy a 16 gb ram stick, haha.

TRENDING THREADS