• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question RAM slot stopped working after CPU change

Jul 16, 2020
Hello!
So yesterday i changed my CPU from an I5 6500 to an I7 6700K, the PC started, but no display, so i changed my RAM slots, the first slot didn't work either, so i tried the 2nd slot with 1x8GB, the PC started working. So after that i tried to plug in my 2nd RAM stick, now it was 2x8GB, after this the PC did not turn on.
So in my thoughts the RAM slot is broken somehow? I don't have money to buy a 1x16 stick either, I'm playing games which mostly need 16GB of ram.

Also what i noticed is that when the RAM stick was in the 1st slot, then the Motherboard started showing debug led lights, the light stayed on DRAM for 2 seconds, then flashed to CPU for half a second and then back again. With the RAM Stick plugged in the 2nd slot, it isn't, and the PC is working normally.

Specs:
CPU: I7 6700K
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB Gaming OC
RAM: Crucial 2x8GB 2400MHz
Motherboard: MSI B150M Gaming Pro
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Some SSD's and hard drives as well.

I'm really sorry if this is in a wrong section!

Any thoughts what could be the problem? Thanks in advance!

kanewolf

Titan
Hello!
So yesterday i changed my CPU from an I5 6500 to an I7 6700K, the PC started, but no display, so i changed my RAM slots, the first slot didn't work either, so i tried the 2nd slot with 1x8GB, the PC started working. So after that i tried to plug in my 2nd RAM stick, now it was 2x8GB, after this the PC did not turn on.
So in my thoughts the RAM slot is broken somehow? I don't have money to buy a 1x16 stick either, I'm playing games which mostly need 16GB of ram.

Also what i noticed is that when the RAM stick was in the 1st slot, then the Motherboard started showing debug led lights, the light stayed on DRAM for 2 seconds, then flashed to CPU for half a second and then back again. With the RAM Stick plugged in the 2nd slot, it isn't, and the PC is working normally.

Specs:
CPU: I7 6700K
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB Gaming OC
RAM: Crucial 2x8GB 2400MHz
Motherboard: MSI B150M Gaming Pro
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Some SSD's and hard drives as well.

I'm really sorry if this is in a wrong section!

Any thoughts what could be the problem? Thanks in advance!
Very likely issue is bent pins in the CPU socket because of the CPU change.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS