[SOLVED] RAM slot stopped working after CPU change

Jul 16, 2020
Hello!
So yesterday i changed my CPU from an I5 6500 to an I7 6700K, the PC started, but no display, so i changed my RAM slots, the first slot didn't work either, so i tried the 2nd slot with 1x8GB, the PC started working. So after that i tried to plug in my 2nd RAM stick, now it was 2x8GB, after this the PC did not turn on.
So in my thoughts the RAM slot is broken somehow? I don't have money to buy a 1x16 stick either, I'm playing games which mostly need 16GB of ram.

Also what i noticed is that when the RAM stick was in the 1st slot, then the Motherboard started showing debug led lights, the light stayed on DRAM for 2 seconds, then flashed to CPU for half a second and then back again. With the RAM Stick plugged in the 2nd slot, it isn't, and the PC is working normally.

Specs:
CPU: I7 6700K
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB Gaming OC
RAM: Crucial 2x8GB 2400MHz
Motherboard: MSI B150M Gaming Pro
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Some SSD's and hard drives as well.

I'm really sorry if this is in a wrong section!

Any thoughts what could be the problem? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hello!
So yesterday i changed my CPU from an I5 6500 to an I7 6700K, the PC started, but no display, so i changed my RAM slots, the first slot didn't work either, so i tried the 2nd slot with 1x8GB, the PC started working. So after that i tried to plug in my 2nd RAM stick, now it was 2x8GB, after this the PC did not turn on.
So in my thoughts the RAM slot is broken somehow? I don't have money to buy a 1x16 stick either, I'm playing games which mostly need 16GB of ram.

Also what i noticed is that when the RAM stick was in the 1st slot, then the Motherboard started showing debug led lights, the light stayed on DRAM for 2 seconds, then flashed to CPU for half a second and then back again. With the RAM Stick plugged in the 2nd slot, it...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello!

Also what i noticed is that when the RAM stick was in the 1st slot, then the Motherboard started showing debug led lights, the light stayed on DRAM for 2 seconds, then flashed to CPU for half a second and then back again. With the RAM Stick plugged in the 2nd slot, it isn't, and the PC is working normally.

Specs:
CPU: I7 6700K
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB Gaming OC
RAM: Crucial 2x8GB 2400MHz
Motherboard: MSI B150M Gaming Pro
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Some SSD's and hard drives as well.

I'm really sorry if this is in a wrong section!

Any thoughts what could be the problem? Thanks in advance!
Very likely issue is bent pins in the CPU socket because of the CPU change.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS