Question RAM slots 1, 2 & 3 do not work ?

Oxicoi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
Hi

I just bought a brand new mobo - strix x670e-e gaming wifi

I had put previous ram into 2 and 4, and it didn't work. Then I tried all slots individually and only 4 works. At first I thought it was the ram, but I've bought qvl listed and it still does not work.

Please do keep in mind that when I had first booted with this mobo, it did indeed post into windows until only 5 seconds later it stopped working. I then did a cmos reset and then it worked again. It functioned, but then again stopped and now will never work on slots 1,2,3

I've put everything back in slowly from ground up and still same issue

I've looked online and saw that sometimes this happens with bent pins. I have am5, so I'm going to check now to see if there is any, but this is completely new and I carefully set the cpu down first install and when fixing

Could it be a bad mobo?

Pics:
Rich (BB code):

Last edited:
Solution
maybe thats why AMD have set max number of cores in a ccd to 16 in next gen so that CPU would just all be in one ccd and not over 2 - though I bet they will have CPU with two in them still. It can't cause that stutter on all PC or it would be more well known than it is.

You shouldn't have to turn half the CPU off to get it to work. Not saying you doing anything wrong.

I am curious now if another CPU would have the same problem with the board. If you have had 3 different motherboards now, maybe its not the boards. Guess we see when you get another back

At some point I would get parts tested externally. See if anyone else finds something.
I would know if it were the CPU or anything else. I'm very precautious about the parts I...

Oxicoi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
dimm slot 4, is that moving away from CPU?

they numbered
A1
A2
B1
B2

So Dimm 4 = B2?

thats odd as according to mb, 1 stick goes in A2
2 sticks = A2, B2
Page 1-5 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket AM5/ROG_STRIX_X670E-E_GAMING_WIFI/E21210_ROG_STRIX_X670E-E_GAMING_WIFI_UM_V3_WEB.pdf?model=ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI
So it only working in B2 is odd.

guess it could be a bad board. Have you got the latest BIOS?
Yes, furthest away cpu.
As for bent pins on lga, none
Bios is latest

When putting cpu back in again, this time I lessened the pressure of my aio just to see if it was maybe too much, but nothing

The qcode went I think from 00, to others, then stopped at 15 for at least 10 seconds, then stopped at c5 which is what I've been dealing with since getting the thing 2 days ago. Annoying

Mobo does say for a2 b2, though a1,a2,b1 don't work.

I'd assume it has to be bad mobo since nothing else is working, but what I don't get is how it worked barely when getting it the first time

Colif

Win 11 Master
lease do keep in mind that when I had first booted with this mobo, it did indeed post into windows until only 5 seconds later it stopped working. I then did a cmos reset and then it worked again. It functioned, but then again stopped and now will never work on slots 1,2,3
i wouldn't call that stable. WIndows puts more stress on hardware compared to anything else, so it working in bios doesn't really help.

Could it be CPU since the memory is managed by it? Probably no way to tell looking at either.

Jumping to conclusions can be expensive.

what was previous motherboard? Did CPU work in it? I assume old ram was DDR5?

Oxicoi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
i wouldn't call that stable. WIndows puts more stress on hardware compared to anything else, so it working in bios doesn't really help.

Could it be CPU since the memory is managed by it? Probably no way to tell looking at either.

Jumping to conclusions can be expensive.

what was previous motherboard? Did CPU work in it? I assume old ram was DDR5?
CPU, no. It worked fine on 2 previous mobos

I know, I'm already in debt with all this current Gen crap.

Previous was pro x670p msi. Previous of that was I think x670e a asus. Though I will say asus products are the worst in recent times.

Yes cpu and ddr5 worked fine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The 3900x in that thread wouldn't fit on the X670 so what CPU you have now?

You have a new PC, so I assume stutter is gone? I was having stutter randomly on my 3600xt but after swapping to a 5800x3d I haven't seen it happen since. It was only occasional.

Oxicoi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
The 3900x in that thread wouldn't fit on the X670 so what CPU you have now?

You have a new PC, so I assume stutter is gone? I was having stutter randomly on my 3600xt but after swapping to a 5800x3d I haven't seen it happen since. It was only occasional.
You mentioned the 3 motherboards and the thread I gave is what lead to that. I bought an entirely new system because I gave up fixing whatever I had. Turned out it still occurred, only to learn that gaming with both CCDs will cause stutters if resources need to go to the 2nd one (which for me happened a lot). I have the 2nd CCD turned off now and it works great. Sure, I can set affinity, but I currently wish not to right now.
[I also could have turned the 2nd CCD off on the 3900x, but I wasn't aware at the time]

I have 7950x. Cool little thing except for the heat it creates, but with the 2nd CCD off it does wonders.

Though back to the mobo, I've requested a refund on Amazon and will return it. Luckily the same mobo is available to get a new one delivered same-day today so I will be waiting for that after work to troubleshoot some more.

Colif

Win 11 Master
maybe thats why AMD have set max number of cores in a ccd to 16 in next gen so that CPU would just all be in one ccd and not over 2 - though I bet they will have CPU with two in them still. It can't cause that stutter on all PC or it would be more well known than it is.

You shouldn't have to turn half the CPU off to get it to work. Not saying you doing anything wrong.

I am curious now if another CPU would have the same problem with the board. If you have had 3 different motherboards now, maybe its not the boards. Guess we see when you get another back

At some point I would get parts tested externally. See if anyone else finds something.

Reactions: Oxicoi

Oxicoi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017

I would know if it were the CPU or anything else. I'm very precautious about the parts I have.

Though to post about the new mobo coming in, it solved the issue. Sadly, EXPO will not run at full speed. I am stuck at default 5200MT/s as the mobo suggests (though my assumption would be due to having 4 sticks now than 2 previously, which I don't mind).

Thanks for the time spent helping everyone :D

Solution

TRENDING THREADS