Question RAM slots dont seem to work ?

Jan 30, 2021
Yesterday I decided to upgrade my dad's old PC, by upgrade I mean changing everything except for the GPU, PSU, and case.
So the cpu, ram, mb, air cooler, fans, ssd, etc are all new.
This morning i put it all together and it works just fine. It boots to bios and bios recognizes everything.
(i use 2x8gb ram, at this point theyre plugged in slot 2 & 4)

Problem starts when I tried to install win10 via bootable usb. It always gave me either an error code, blue screen, or just blank blue screen.
I look it up and some website suggested to try installing with just one ram stick. I did that and it worked.
(at this point only 1 stick plugged at slot 2)

Now, after I installed win10, I put back the other ram and now it doesnt boot. PC turns on and
it wont go to bios, no input on my monitor. Debug led on mb shows i have memory problem.

So then I tried switching ram between the slots and this is what I found :

1 stick :
Slot 2 is the only one that seems to work, doesnt matter which ram, both works. (pc boots to win10)
All other slot (1,3,4) dont work with neither rams, pc just turns on with the dram debug led on.

2stick :
pc never boots, just the dram debug led is on.
(my assumption is because if I use 2 sticks, no matter how i positioned it, either slot 1, 3, or 4 will be used)

both ram works on slot 2 so I think my ram is okay.
but my mobo is also new, and it worked before I installed windows?

some people say perhaps my cpu pin are bent, but the cpu is also new, and i dont remember dropping it or
trying to install it the wrong way. but i havent checked it, ill check it tomorrow.

what do you think is the problem?

(mb : gigabyte b460m aorus pro)

things i've tried :
-update bios
-clear cmos
-visually inspect my rams and ram slots for any sign of damage

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ram may not play nice together or there might be a bent cpu pin. Was ram bought as a set?

Have you tried enabling XMP in bios? Making sure it sets dram voltage to what is required, assuming 1.35v, set with one stick then try both with these settings.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021
Ram may not play nice together or there might be a bent cpu pin. Was ram bought as a set?

Have you tried enabling XMP in bios? Making sure it sets dram voltage to what is required, assuming 1.35v, set with one stick then try both with these settings.
ram was bought as set

I tried to enable xmp, but there wasnt an option to.
In the mb manual, it said that there will be an option for xmp if the cpu supports it, so i assume my cpu dont support xmp? (its i7 10700)