Question RAM speed 2133 mhz instead of 3200

Jun 25, 2022
Hello, I got an extra 16 so now I have 32 RAM for my build since I work in animation but I noticed my RAM speed is just 2133 instead of the 3200 I paid for. I'm not sure why I can't change it. I tried in BIOS but with the DOCP but says that there's an error when trying to boot so I'm not sure what is going on.

I have a Ryzen 5 2600, B450F and the 32gb3200 ram

DavidM012

Distinguished
You've got mixin'-me-toasties. 2 kits may be incompatible. You need 1 kit of 32gb either 4x8 or 2x16, rather than 2x2x8gb different kits. Even kits of the same make and model could be incompatible.

What's your mobo and the make model and part no. of the memory?

Memory compliance isn't always that strict. Only when you've got something important to do. Zen 2 is fussy about memory I think. There may be a bios update for your board on the manufacturer's site that 'improves memory compatibility' or something - or there may not.

So otherwise:

Send back the 2nd kit.

Buy a full kit for the full amount of memory you want - and select something that is from your mobo memory support list, which is found on your mobo manufacturer website. You have a choice - so choose something compliant to the qvl so that you don't run into another problem.

Use hwinfo to identify your mobo if you don't know what it is. You can also use it to read the SPD info (serial presence detect) of your memory to retrieve the exact part number.

When you've bought another (fully compatible) kit maybe you can sell your leftover kit on ebay - at least you can say you have a reason for selling, due to upgrade.