Question RAM Speed at 3000MHz?

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Hello good folks!

I've got a pretty dated/budget setup, so I figured I wanna squeeze out every drop of performance I can lol :sol:

Currently rocking:

Ryzen 5 3600
X570 Aorus Elite
RTX 3060 Elite 12GB
Some fairly inexpensive G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3200MHz 4x8GB.

The above mentioned RAM sticks run at 3000MHz according to task manager with XMP profile enabled.

From my knowledge, these should go fine with the specs above to 3200MHz, even overclocked to 3600MHz (which I've heard is the sweet spot for AMD performance wise) — how do I achieve that?

The difference in performance is actually much smaller than you'd think, probably less than 10% in real world applications.

As for the speed, your ram is likely to have 2 D.O.C.P profiles, 1 at 3000mhz and the other at 3200mhz, check that in your bios, and just change it to the better one.

As for overclocking to 3600mhz I would not recommend since RAM overclocking is pretty flaky and time consuming but if you'd like to dive into that rabbit hole there are lots of RAM overclocking and time tightning on the internet.

Hello good folks!

I've got a pretty dated/budget setup, so I figured I wanna squeeze out every drop of performance I can lol :sol:

Currently rocking:

Ryzen 5 3600
X570 Aorus Elite
RTX 3060 Elite 12GB
Some fairly inexpensive G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3200MHz 4x8GB.

The above mentioned RAM sticks run at 3000MHz according to task manager with XMP profile enabled.

From my knowledge, these should go fine with the specs above to 3200MHz, even overclocked to 3600MHz (which I've heard is the sweet spot for AMD performance wise) — how do I achieve that?
Install the proper bios....test.

If no help use one stick of ram in slot a2.....test.

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
What bios level are you running?

With 4 sticks 3000 may be as high as you can go where all the sticks play nice together.

Did these 4 sticks come as a single kit of 4 sticks or did you put 2 kits of 2 sticks together or perhaps 4 single sticks?

They were also only running at 3000Mhz max witch 2 sticks. I just picked up another kit of 2.

Bios should be up to date (at least it was 5 months ago :tongueout:). Could it be the BIOS that is not update, or am I missing something else?