[SOLVED] Ram speed compatible with motherboard

Jul 8, 2020
Hey everyone working on a new build and I have researched somewhat about ram speed but was wondering if my ram is going to run the speed it says out of the box with my mother board. I’m trying to learn more about it as much as I can and any advice is appreciated thank you. Here’s my full build just because
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
Gpu - Zotac RTX 2060
Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600mhz Cl16 2x8
Motherboard - MSI Gaming Plus MAX
Psu - 750 watt Corsair
SSD - WD Green 1 TB
Case - Fractal Design Meshify C

Solution
Sorry it is a b450. I have checked and it supports up to around 4000 MHz when overclocked but stock only up to 2800, while my ram is at 3600. Would this mean I just need to figure out to do an XMP? This ram was not on the QVL but other versions close to mine were
Yes you'll have to manually set it. It's really simple to set the RAM to whatever speed and enable the XMP profile, like just select it from a list simple. Just find some Youtube vids with your same MOBO.

I could not find any QVL RAM for my build either, but I had no issues setting my RAM to it's rated speed.

Sweet user name BTW haha
Hey everyone working on a new build and I have researched somewhat about ram speed but was wondering if my ram is going to run the speed it says out of the box with my mother board. I’m trying to learn more about it as much as I can and any advice is appreciated thank you. Here’s my full build just because
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
Gpu - Zotac RTX 2060
Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600mhz Cl16 2x8
Motherboard - MSI Gaming Plus MAX
Psu - 750 watt Corsair
SSD - WD Green 1 TB
Case - Fractal Design Meshify C
Yes, RAM should work fine.

Jul 8, 2020
It will say on the motherboards website. You would also need to be a bit more specific, is it a B450 or X470 or what?
Sorry it is a b450. I have checked and it supports up to around 4000 MHz when overclocked but stock only up to 2800, while my ram is at 3600. Would this mean I just need to figure out to do an XMP? This ram was not on the QVL but other versions close to mine were

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Yes you'll have to manually set it. It's really simple to set the RAM to whatever speed and enable the XMP profile, like just select it from a list simple. Just find some Youtube vids with your same MOBO.

I could not find any QVL RAM for my build either, but I had no issues setting my RAM to it's rated speed.

Sweet user name BTW haha

Solution
Jul 8, 2020

Sweet user name BTW haha
Thank you haha and sorry for the late reply here, I would consider this my first “real” build so I’m just now learning about XMP and a lot lore specific stuff. I have no interest in OC so I just wanna make sure what I do is easy and cut and dry I’m not trying to mess anything up...again XD I ended up getting Corsair vengeance 3200mhz c16 8x2 as someone suggested I get that if I don’t plan on tweaking much with the timings and what not which I don’t. If it’s as simple as setting it to my ram speed and clicking XMP I’m cool