Question RAM Speed Config

Feb 13, 2020
So I had 16GB of HyperX 2666MHZ RAM, Today I bought and upgraded to Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3000MHZ 32GB of RAM.

While I was aware I was not going to get 3000MHZ because I am using an HP Omen Obelisk Desktop 875-0xxx, I am actually getting 2133MHZ which is super low and I was expecting 2666.

My bios apparently does not have XMP because its a default HP bios, and while im not looking to "OVERCLOCK" like a mad man, im simply looking for my base motherboard supported speed. Im no PC expert but 16gb of 2666 worked so does 32gb of ram not work at 2666 and because theres so much memory it downclocked even further?

Can I download XMP to BIOS? (Stupid and odd question im sorry)
Can I use a software to go back to my standard speed?
Is the RAM speed capped with the amount of memory installed?
(As in 16GB was running 2666 and in theory so should 32)
or Am I "SoL?"

Sorry just a little panicky right now, bottom line if im SoL, i wont be mad to be honest I would be reusing this ram in a future build, even if I get diminished returns currently. Just curious to see how I can ATLEAST go to 2666, im not even asking for 3000mhz advertised speed.
THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCED!

Feb 13, 2020
Well I was told directly from HP if I got 3000 MHZ ram per se, That it would automatically "Downclock" to native supported 2666 by the motherboard, so why would it be 2133? Again I intend to reuse the ram later with a competent motherboard that will support said speeds, so far gaming seems pretty damn good, and no complaints, but part of me thinks even 2666 would be niiiiice.

So why would I need to specifically buy 32gb of 2666 if he told me it would downclock, because it did technically downclock, just way too much.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
No, HP really handicapped these PC's. I've seen better bios on 20 year old machines. Pretty frustrating considering these were supposed to be "upgradeable" and all the review out there were essentially fluff. Between the locked down bios, insanely poor cooling and unuser friendly design is really sad. I had higher hopes from HP.

If you want to upgrade your ram you're essentially forced to pay HP's 100% mark up for inferior but compatible ram.

We've been working on getting my neighbors omen i7 9700 w/ 2070 S upgraded to ensure proper performance.

Added a noctua D9L and a few top & bottom fans. The cooling has already increased performance but I'm guessing the single channel stick of 16gb 2666 is holding it back compared to dual channel. I'm the next few days we're going to try out some Corsair LPX & G-skill trident Z (both 2x8gb) and see if we can't get things running, and in a perfect world, tuned to the proper frequency. HP isn't going to make it easy though, jerks.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
So just an update. The trident z didn't run at the 2666mhz, even though it's 3200 rated in xmp. No way to change the frequency in the bios.

The new cooling did help alot. Running low 70'sC max compared to mid 80's.

Friend was lucky enought to get a Asus Rog 3070 OC, it's too long for the case. Swapped cases to a Lian Li Mesh II RGB, temps of gpu & cpu now in the mid 60's but the card won't fit the motherboard... The 24pin connector is in the way. Too close to the gpu slot & just a smidge too tall. The 3070 is a triple slot though, a beast.

Next solution prior to ditching every piece of the original omen is to try out a vertical gpu mount. Hope that works, he's trying to hold out for LGA1700.

Vertical gpu mount works! The omen lives to see another day :)

Last edited: