ajohnson94

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
Hi,

I've recently discovered the XMP/DOCP function when researching how to overclock ram (Or just have it run at the speed it said it could on the box)!

I'm currently use Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 3000mhz and am using it in all 4 channels, so 32gb (4 x sticks of 8) and they're two separate kits, I.e. 2 x kits of 8gb, bought and installed at separate times. I use my computer mainly for gaming and know that 32gb is overkill, this is an example of me being ignorant early on in my "PC building career" and so lets put that to one side lol.

I followed a YouTube guide and went into the bios, into the memory area, I have an ASUS board so its not called XMP, but DOCP, and so I enabled DOCP Standard. As expected all of the below voltage fields and what not automatically filled in with the profile, there were also profiles called DOCP 1, DOCP 2 DOCP 3 etc, that appeared to favor different RAM speeds, such as 2133mhz, then 2933mhz or whatever, I enabled the DOCP Standard and that went to 3000mhz, which is the speed my RAM kits claim to be capable of.

Initially, my on board speaker and diagnostic number on the motherboard were presenting me with errors and the RAM was defaulting itself back to the default speed of 2133mhz. I managed to get the BIOS to stay on DOCP Standard and in yellow text it says "Targeted RAM speed of 3000mhz" so in other words the system will be playing at that speed or at least trying. When I use Speccy and look at the Task manager, it says my RAM speeds are 1065mhz..

Can someone explain why this is? I know dual channel can be easier to manage from looking at other forums and i've seen people mention that in 4 x channel ram you should up voltages etc but for me that's when it all gets too complicated. I just want my system to run how i expect and at speeds i payed for, it makes no sense to me that the system can see im using 4x channels and wouldn't still load a profile and auto fill the other boxes. So to be clear the BIOS currently states that its on DOCP standard and the targeted speed is 3000mhz but monitoring software i have at this time seems to suggest otherwise

Any help would be great thanks..

My comp specs are:
CPU, Ryzen 2700x
GPU, RTX 2080TI
Motherboard, Asus Crosshair VII
Cant remember name of power supply buts is a corsair 80+ gold one that i know is overkill for my PC. If anyone has to know exactly i will find out

- 4 Sticks of RAM put more stress on the memory controller. Sometime you cannot run the advertised speed when using 4 sticks.

Not only that.

- You're using 2 different kit and mixing kit is not always a 100% guarantee that they will work with the other kit correctly.

Do you have 1 kit in A2-B2 and the other kit in A1-B1?

Is the RAM on the QVL of your motherboard?

Try this. Turn DOCP on at 2933MHz and see if it keeps that speed.

The RAM speed at 1065MHz means you're at 2133MHz right now. DOCP did not stick.

Reactions: CountMike

ajohnson94

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
- 4 Sticks of RAM put more stress on the memory controller. Sometime you cannot run the advertised speed when using 4 sticks.

Not only that.

- You're using 2 different kit and mixing kit is not always a 100% guarantee that they will work with the other kit correctly.

Do you have 1 kit in A2-B2 and the other kit in A1-B1?

Is the RAM on the QVL of your motherboard?

Try this. Turn DOCP on at 2933MHz and see if it keeps that speed.

The RAM speed at 1065MHz means you're at 2133MHz right now. DOCP did not stick.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I'm not sure on the configuration i.e. one kit and A1-B1 and the other A2-B2 to be honest, when I built the PC I wouldn't have thought about this and so theres a high likely hood i could have just plugged them in randomly.

About the QVL, Yes im pretty certain that it is on the list.

I think i've already tried that and it still gave me trouble but i'll do some more digging.

Thanks again dude appreciate your time.